Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Too hot to cook: sandwiches

Baguette cut lengthwise with Serrano ham, drunken goat cheese, arugula, heirloom tomatoes, mustard, mayo.

I had this sandwich many times during the two months I lived in Nerja, Spain, which is on the Mediterranean. Anybody else think this "heirloom" classification for tomatoes is kind of cheesy? I mean, heirloom means it's a less common, almost forgotten variety. But they never tell us what the variety is. They just sell us the fancy green/yellow/purple/spotted tomato and call it heirloom.

2 comments:

janeannechovy said...

Heirloom.

Maybe the coop (there's one here in Portland called the People's Food Co-Op--I think they would love it if you called it a communist cult) has too many different varieties, and never the same ones, and they're too lazy to label them all? I know here if you buy them from the farmer, they'll be able to tell you exactly what kind, and I know exactly what kind I'm growing in my garden. If you buy or mail-order plants to grow yourself, you'll know. Could you grow them on your roof with your herbs? NYC has such nice hot summers I'm sure they'd turn out fab with enough water.

Let me know if you want tips of specific varieties I've grown and loved.

riptide said...

"hierloom" means a variety which has been reproduced from its own seeds, without cross-breeding or hybridizing with some other variety (which became common beginning in the 1950s to produce varieties which were, for example, robust to shipping in large trucks). despite it's ligitimacy as a technical term, and as a signifier of tomatoes which probably taste better, i agree the term "heirloom" is embarrasing and dorky.