Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, July 28, 2005

What someone else made for dinner: dim sum

Shitake mushroom and pork dumplings, shrimp and watercress dumplings, steamed rice ball with pork, sesame ball

I was in the mood to go to Chinatown this morning. So Jasper and I rode the train in to Canal Street and worked our way along Mott. As I imagine it, my readers are going to fall into two camps. Either you live in New York and already know about all of these places, or you live in a city like Salt Lake with no Chinatown at all. But maybe, just maybe, one of my readers does not already know about May May and Fa Da and Kam Man. If I can just reach one reader...

All right then. First stop was a shop specializing in Southeast Asian foods on Mosco. I can't remember the name of it, but it's the only food store on that street. I got ingredients for Pad Thai and some kaffir lime leaves. One of my favorite cook books, Flavors (by Donna Hay) has several recipes calling for lime leaves.

Next stop was May May (35 Pell, 212-267-0733), where I picked up the dim sum. May May is known primarily for their dim sum -- little appetizer goodies of all sorts. They also have some fun prepackaged Asian treats, like Poky sticks. I always get their mango crab dumplings, but this time I decided to try something new. The shitake pork and shrimp watercress dumplings were delicious -- I'm glad I picked them. I also picked up a little pack of some sort of bubble drink for Jasper. It has an illustration of a cooler-than-necessary guy with three earrings in one ear, and it's inexplicably called Day Baby. Jasper found the packaging interesting and sipped a little at it. Eventually he expelled the viscous goo out all over himself and his stroller. Smooth move there, Mom. Should've gone with the Pocky sticks.

Then we went to Fa Da Bakery (83 Mott, 212-791-3884, though there are five other locations including two in Flushing). They had a lot of yummy looking pastries. It had been a long time since I'd had sesame balls, so I bought some of those. Sesame balls are spongy rice flour pastries with red bean past filling. They're fried like dounts and coated with sesame seeds. I love the crunchy exterior. I also bought a coconut ball, but it wasn't fried and that made the gelatinous aspect of these balls more apparent. I also got Lane pork roll for his lunch tomorrow. As we were leaving I spied some lemon pastries I wished I'd seen earlier. I'll have to try them another time.

Last stop was Kam Man (200 Canal, 212-571-0330), a Chinese grocery where I could spend hours if I wanted to. But Jasper was beginning to tire of our adventures already. So I bought my fresh noodles (egg and spinach) and a steamed pork ball. Unlike the pastries, this is ball of rice stuffed with roasted pork, peanuts (fresh), and egg, wrapped in banana leaves, and then steamed. We had this along with the dumplings for dinner tonight.

Lane confessed to me tonight that he hated last night's seaweed salad. Too tart, slimy texture, etc. Oh well, so much for that one. Guess it's back to individual-sized seaweed salads from the Asian delis.

A big congratulations go out to JaneAnne, who just gave birth to a baby boy. Welcome to the world, Leif!

No comments: