Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Corrections, highlights, comments

Spirited Away is not the latest Hayao Miyazaki film. Howl’s Moving Castle is. I rely on my friends to keep me updated on everything that goes on in the world.

By the way, is Iran still doing nuclear testing? And how is the dollar faring now that China’s currency is no longer tied exclusively with it? And how soon will our economy collapse, now that gas is nearly $3.00/gallon?

Whimsically homemade-looking cupcakes at the Philadelphia Museum of Art are way too sweet, and not in a good Magnolia way. Even Lane, the sugar fiend, agrees.

I have been to the Elizabeth Ikea and tasted the Swedish meatballs. There is scant meat in them there balls, though they are improved by the lingonberry sauce.

Grilled the most phenomenal wild Alaskan salmon from the coop -- yes, the coop. I haven’t had fish that fresh tasting since Yamada Sushi. I made cheater’s crème fraiche to go with: squeeze the juice of a lemon into some cream and stir. Thickens immediately.

We made the beef, eggplant, and ginger kebobs again. Then we incorporated the leftovers in a pasta salad with smoked (essential) mozzarella, tomatoes, and lots of basil.

Great shows at the gorgeously renovated Aldrich Museum up in Ridgefield, Connecticut: installations by Lisa Sigal, Sarah Morris, Pipilotti Rist, plus a fun crayon/stone rubbings activity outside and a bathroom donated by Waterworks (Is that, like, an ongoing grant for artists? Because I know an artist who could use a new bathroom). There was a terrific storm when we were there, complete with thunder, lightning and hail. We escaped to a surprisingly good patisserie in town where I had a flavor bomb of a petit four.

M& I International Foods in Brighton Beach, the cheap, Eastern-European Dean and Deluca. We got sausage, herbed farmer’s cheese, this weird Israeli mocha mousse stuff, dusty wheat biscuits, tea cookies, currant and poppy seed rolls, bitter honey cake, and vichy water. Must go again soon, this time with someone who speaks Russian. (Dave?)

That is, if they let us in again. We weren’t in the store more than five minutes when Jasper broke a jar of jam on the 2nd floor. The woman behind the M & I pastries and candies counter gave us a look of fury and disgust as only the Russians can while the mess was cleaned. We slunk downstairs only to be scolded by another clerk for not paying for our tea cookies upstairs. This took a lot of time as he did not speak English. Finally I understood and went back upstairs to face Madam Fury. She was in no mood to entertain questions about the delicacies behind her counter, so I paid for the lousy cookies and fled.

Storm King Art Center and Dia Beacon are both closed on Tuesdays. Go on a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday.

We saw none other than Matthew Marks and (boyfriend) at a cute rail-side tavern in Cold Spring. He followed me into the bathroom. Not really, but we did almost collide as I was on my way out and he was on his way in. I said, “Matt, stop it. He’s not leaving Greenberg Van Doren for your gallery so you can just forget about it.” How about that New York Magazine article on him? Can he really afford to dis’ collectors like that?

I made pesto: 2 cups homegrown basil, 1 cup pine nuts, 1 cup freshly grated parmesan, ½ cup olive oil, 2 garlic cloves, 2 teaspoons salt. I ground it all in a food processor, drizzling in the olive oil along the way. After boiling my pasta I reserved about 2 tablespoons of the water and combined this and the pasta with the pesto and about 2 cups thickly sliced cremini mushrooms. Loved it.

It’s a good thing lip gloss is out this fall, because Jasper ruined my Dior Addict Ultra Shine. It’s just as well; he always looked better in it than I did.

Speaking of the boy, during an unbearable heat wave we got Jasper his first haircut at this only-in-Park-Slope salon. He sat in a little car, watched a Sesame Street DVD, and played with toys while a very talented and experienced woman sheared off his lovely locks. We got a certificate and he got a balloon.

I have been given the green light to find an alternative venue for the Twitchell Family Thanksgiving feast, currently planned to take place as a buffet at the Research Park Marriott. Wish me luck. If I fail in my mission, could someone please send me a few spare Lorazepam?

What did I do to deserve a husband who will happily do all the driving and even vacuum up afterwards?

And finally, it should not have taken two weeks for us to finally get back our DSL connection! All I can say is !@#$%^& because Jasper is learning too quickly these days and I just finally got us both to stop saying the F-word.

2 comments:

janeannechovy said...

I'm so glad you're back--I've missed you!

Had a my-own-garden tomato sandwich for lunch today. Yummy city.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you got Jasper to stop saying the F-word? You're such a great mother; I don't know how you do it.

And I'd love to go shopping with you in Brighton Beach some time.