Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

In which I take up the gauntlet and make the Moosewood sweet and sour peppers

Ok, Bryan, I made the sweet and sour peppers, and they're delicious. But I made them with tomato paste instead of ketchup as Colleen suggested, and I made a few other alterations.

Moosewood uses red and green peppers, onions, garlic, and cashews. Lane and I don't like green bell peppers (it's an odd dislike that brings us closer together) and I don't like onions in Asian food (it would take too long to explain why). I left those out and used broccoli with the red peppers. The coop had no chicken cuts, only whole chickens. So I used some boneless pork chops and fewer cashews than the recipe calls for.

The sauce came out definitively on the tart side. I was thinking if Lane found it not sweet enough we could add a little honey. But Lane has been cutting back on sugar lately, being the sugar-fiend son of a diabetic, and this has changed his palate somewhat. In fact, he thought it would taste better if it were spicy. So we brought out the Thai chili sauce! Being 14% sugar, you could consider it Thai ketchup.

I will publish the recipe sometime tomorrow. I won't be cooking tomorrow night (we have some openings to attend) and today was a highly irregular day for sleeping. About 3:30 a.m. Jasper decided to party and didn't settle back down until around 5 a.m. He mercifully slept in until 10:00. Then his afternoon nap lasted a whole 4 hours (they're usually 2 hours long). I kept wondering what I'd done to deserve such a break. To which god or goddess must I now present a generous offering for the pleasure of this long, long nap? I got so many little projects completed.

Sweet and Sour Peppers -- with apologies to the Moosewood collective

1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup water
1 T cornstarch

3 T vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 boneless pork chops, diced (or chicken, turkey, etc.)
2 large red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
1 bunch broccoli, chopped
1 cup toasted cashews, whole and half pieces

Combine the first group of ingredients in a bowl. Chop veggies and meat. Heat oil in wok and cook garlic until golden. Add meat and cook until done. Add bell peppers and broccoli and cook until soft (I cooked these together, which made for very soft peppers and slightly al dente broccoli, but I liked it that way. If you don't, start with the broccoli and then add the peppers). Add cashews and cook for one minute. Then add sauce and simmer for a couple minutes. Serve over rice.

1 comment:

h2oman said...

for the record, i never use green peppers in this recipe. i use all red, or maybe red and yellow, if the yellow are down around $1.99/lb. I *love* lots of onions thinly sliced in this--it's where the sweetness comes from, since i cut way back on the sugar. i like my sweet and sour more sour than sweet so i always use way more vinegar than they ask for--usually rice vinegar rather than cider.

glad you took the plunge. i consider it my form of trailer park americana. xoxo--bw