Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Sweet potato quesadillas

This is inspired by another Moosewood Cooks at Homerecipe. They have you grate some sweet potatoes and then saute with cumin and onions until soft before filling flour tortillas with the mixture and grated cheese. And that's perfectly good.

I took out the extra step for a fresher-tasting quesadilla. I grated three small sweet potatoes and mixed in some grated fontina cheese and a little cumin. Then I cooked the quesadillas on low for about 7-8 minutes each side. This cooked the sweet potatoes until soft without compromising the tortilla. I like using fontina for its slightly nutty flavor and also because it melts so evenly. This is a tasty, quick dinner. You can also cut into strips or triangles for appetizers -- serve with salsa.

But enough about dinner. What I'm really excited about is a new-ish takeout place in my neighborhood called Tempo Presto. It's an offshoot of the restaurant Tempo, which took the place of an old Park Slope institution, Cucina. Tempo serves sandwiches (like today's meatloaf with bacon on brioche), salads, pastries, and their own gelato. I've been eyeing the place for a few months and we finally went for dessert.

I wouldn't shut up about that gelato. I had the cardamom orange, very cardamom-y with little bits of orange zest, and perfectly creamy. I couldn't ask for more out of gelato. It makes me miss the gelato at the National Gallery a little less. I also tasted their concord grape, which changed the way I think about grape flavors. Other flavors include caramel swirl, nutella, chocolate with sticks and stones, mixed berry -- all tempting.

Lane had the most luscious red velvet cupcake. The texture followed through on its promise and was wonderfully velvety. And the cream cheese frosting hit the perfect balance between sweet and tart. Honestly, I don't know if I can live in Park Slope anymore with all these great eateries popping up. Between this and the chocolate cookies at Luscious down the street (I'll have to write about that another time), not one but two cafes dedicated to chocolates -- how am I not supposed to spend my every last dime on delctable treats? At least none of these places are on the way to the playground.

2 comments:

h2oman said...

I'm glad to see you've stopped slandering the poor Moosewood Cooks at Home. Yes, it's simple. Yes, it asks you to do things that sound unpleasant, like cook with ketchup (as in the recipe for sweet and sour peppers). But that book served me very well for the years when my kids were small, I was a full-time grad student and part-time, very young stay-at-home dad. It taught me how to stock a kitchen with basic spices and how to shop for staples. Its recipes usually turned out tasty enough. Best of all, they were fast. It was smart comfort food--a huge step up from the cook-with-Campbells, cook-for-a-family-the-size-of-an-army world I had grown up in.

I still make sweet and sour sauce with ketchup, and you know--the kids love it.

xo

Anonymous said...

You're making my mouth water with your delicious descriptions. Thanks - love to come for dinner with old friends/neighbors from E 5750 S St.