Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Cranberry pot roast

Beef pot roast with cranberry sauce; orange cauliflower

This is another recipe adapted from the New York Times. It calls for brisket, chuck, or tenderloin, but I used rump roast. Afterwards I decided that it could have used some shallots and thyme, so I’m adding them into the recipe as if I’d actually made it with them (maybe another time). The Times recipe called for a 2-3-pound piece of meat, but I’d just bought a 1 1/2-pound piece, so the adaptation is based on cutting in half.

Melt 1 T butter in a Dutch oven or other large pot with a lid. Meanwhile, dredge a 1 ½-pound piece of rump roast (or brisket, or chuck, or tenderloin) in ¼ cup sugar. Brown meat in butter on all sides, seasoning with salt and pepper. Add one chopped shallot and cook for about a minute. Then add ¼ cup red wine (or red wine vinegar), one 8-ounce bag of cranberries, and a bunch of thyme. Cook, stirring, for about a minute. Then add the zest and juice of one, small orange. Add a pinch of cayenne, cover, and reduce heat to low.

A piece this small will cook quickly. Turn after about fifteen minutes. After 30 minutes the roast will probably be done. The internal temperature should be between 125 and 130 degrees. After the roast is finished cooking remove it from the heat and let it rest for about ten minutes before caring and serve with the sauce. This will yield 2-4 servings. The sauce is on the tart side, which I like. It’s nice to have cranberry outside the context of turkey or a muffin.

I rarely ever have cauliflower. I don’t know why, but it’s one of those forgotten vegetables for me. I went looking for some at the Coop and struck gold, literally. The Coop had bright orange cauliflower. It looked just like movie popcorn. It tasted like regular cauliflower except without that faint cabbagey flavor cauliflower often has. I parboiled it and then coated it in butter and parmesan cheese. It looked lovely next to the cranberry sauce on the roast beef.

As I write this I’m enjoying some lapsang souchong tea. I usually have something lighter in the afternoon, like green tea with some cracked cardamom pods, or Earl Grey. But with fall I’ve been in the mood for something heartier. Lapsang has been a challenge, because it’s so smoky, almost stinky! But I brewed some today with a couple of cinnamon sticks and added milk and sugar (also not my usual for afternoon tea) and I’m starting to warm to it.

Good news – my tamale grocery is not closed for good after all! Lane brought some home last night. As he will be away tonight for a benefit I’ll probably take the night off and have those for dinner.

3 comments:

janeannechovy said...

Chuck roast is one of my favorite cuts of meat, but if you use it in this recipe you'll have to cook it a whole lot longer, and probably in the oven. Low and slow (at least a couple of hours, at 250) is how you have to go for chuck. Then all the connective tissue and fat (of which this cut has a lot) liquefy, and it turns into sticky stringy flavorful yumminess.

Chuck roast ought to be called church roast, because you can brown it before church, stick it in the oven, and it will be perfect for dinnertime. It's nigh unto impossible to overcook (but very easy to undercook).

Dinner here tonight will be honey-cayenne-glazed pork loin, pan-roasted. It's a new recipe--I'll let you know how it turns out.

sniffalicious said...

Yeah church roast if you attend church for THREE hours on a perfectly good Sunday

Janet M. Kincaid said...

Adriana,

I'm drooling, again. And JaneAnne, you have to send the recipe for your pork loin. As for calling it church roast, without three hours of my Sunday being occupied by church any longer, I'd have to call this Errand/Chore Roast or something, otherwise, I'd die of impatience and pacing as I waited for the darn thing to cook.

Keep those great recipes coming, Adriana.

By the way, have you figured out how to make line-dancing s'mores yet? Apparently there's no evidence left from the activity in my parents' ward that was supposed to feature this phenomenon.

Janet