Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Post-Halloween party salad


This evening I took Jasper to a Halloween party at my upstairs neighbor's. She has a daughter about nine months older than Jasper. It was crazy toddler and preschooler fun, with at least a dozen little kids running around in costumes: a fairy princess, a crocodile, a bat, a pirate. Jasper's costume this year is a diablito -- a little devil. I made him a cape (from an old, ripped, raw silk pillow sham, very goth) and a tail and then drew a curly moustache. I'll post more pictures after Halloween.

Anyway, I ended up eating a slice of pizza, a chocolate cupcake, a pumpkin mini-cupcake, a tiny piece of pumpkin pie, and about three cookies. I had to try all the treats! But I came home feeling a little larded out and needed a salad. Fortunately I had forseen this scenario and bought some prewashed spinach at the Coop earlier today. I added some chopped apple, crushed roasted and salted almonds, and a dressing of canola oil, apple cider vinegar, and Dijon mustard. It was just like in The Very Hungry Caterpillar, when he binges on junk (pickles, sausages, cake), has a tummyache, then eats a nice, green leaf the next day and feels much better. Only I won't be turning into a butterfly any time soon.

No comments: