Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Friday, November 18, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving

Lamanites, Nephites, Sybarites, we set off for the Beehive State tomorrow. Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I will not be posting for the week.

Much as I grumble about missing my annual bacchanal, I am happy to wish my father-in-law a happy 80th birthday. Bob is the reason Lane is such a gentle, adventurous, and easily delighted man. Bob takes great joy in everyday pleasures. He has loved hiking and boating and biking. It's been a little painful to see him deny these activities as he has grown older. But I'm sure he still relishes countless memories of adventures with his family when he was younger.

Bob is also a blanket putter-on-er. If you fall asleep on a couch he will always put a blanket on you. He came of age in an era that starkly separated women's work from men's. I think this is one of his ways of nurturing. I imagine him thinking, "well, I don't know how to change a diaper or cook dinner, but I can see when someone needs a blanket and I can put one on them." For some reason I find this gesture of his incredibly endearing.

Happy Birthday, Bob!

3 comments:

shaunamama said...

Hope you have a GREAT THANKSGIVING and birthday celebration. Please travel safely.

In regards to your comment...the soup did not disappoint..it was just the fix for a really cold fall night.

vanessa said...

hope you enjoy Utah and the recommendations.
thanks for the link to the blog—it looks great!

Writermama said...

Oh, I love that about your father-in-law. That is such a nice thing for you to notice about him.

Have a good trip!