Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Requests, anyone?

I get requests every once in a while along the lines of "what do I do with this vegetable." So I'd like to encourage my readers (all five of you, heh heh) to ask questions and make requests in the comment section.

Today's request was squash soup, possibly with ginger. Squash soup can be pretty easy. Roast or steam your squash until it is very soft. If you have time, saute some chopped shallots (or onion or garlic) and fresh ginger. Then puree or blend the squash and shallots, etc. until mushy. Put this in a pot, heat on low, and slowly stir in boxed vegetable or chicken stock to desired consistency. Salt to taste.

If you don't have time to cook the ginger, you could also just grate some fresh ginger into your soup using the smallest section or using a zester.

For a variation on this soup try adding curry instead of ginger. I also made a sage version a few weeks ago. And you could try the squash and white bean stew without the meat.

And now, I'm exhausted from my day and must go to bed. Plus, according to Dave, only dorks stay up on a weekend to blog.

4 comments:

Co said...

Okay... well, this Thanksgiving I will be called upon to make a side dish for the dinner I will be attending. Last year I tried a sweet potato recipe involving cream which was a big misfire. It tasted really good for about 20 seconds and then became blah. So, any suggestions you have for good Turkey-Day side dishes would be welcome.

liz said...

Lobster Bisque
Basil Tomato Bisque
Comfort Food ideas for the winter

newbrooklyner said...

Aw, thanks!
I think I can do this. I have a BFA afterall.
Oh, wait.

Adriana Velez said...

Ok, I have a Thanksgiving side dish that I LOVE and unfortunately cannot make this year, so I'm glad you asked, Col. I'll dig it up tomorrow.

Backwards, I've never made lobster or tomato bisque, but I do have some recipes for both so I'll transcribe them when I get the chance.

As for comfort food -- I'll be making my funeral potatoes soon.