Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

What do you do with bussels sprouts?

I know what you're thinking. They're those mini cabbages, funky smelling, bad rep. But we really like them prepared this way. Slice lengthwise. Soften 2-3 chopped cloves of garlic in some olive oil (use a wide pan) and add sprouts. Cook for about 15 minutes until soft.

Today I added some chopped walnuts. Pecans also go well, and this the perfect side for pork chops. But today I cooked the sprouts with polenta and some Gardenburgers. The one time we entertained this summer one of our guests was a vegetarian. So we still have a few left in the freezer. I've never had one, so I was curious. They were kind of mushy and over seasoned with cumin. But I mushed mine up and mixed it with the polenta and it wasn't too bad.

Tomorrow we'll be going to the Gerhard Richter opening at Marian Goodman. When we get home I'll probably grill some cheddar and apple sandwiches for dinner. It's Lane's birthday tomorrow! We'll celebrate on Friday night, but getting to stand in the same room as one of the world's most important painters is a great birthday present.

3 comments:

janeannechovy said...

Happy Birthday to Lane!!! Give him big smooches from me.

shaunamama said...

I was my mother's lament as far as having a palate that was accepting of new and different tastes. As I grow older, my palate is becoming wiser to new things to try. I'll have to give this one a try! It sounds very interesting.

Tell Lane Happy Birthday...next time you're in Utah, give us a shout..we'll crack open a bottle of that bordeaux I've been saving. Email me from my profile and I'll send you our number.

Til then, have a great time tonight!

Rebeccah said...

In case you're interested, my family discovered an excellent way to serve brussels sprouts that has become a must-serve dish at all family gatherings. It's a recipe from martha stewart, and it's Brussels with Bacon and Apples. All the flavours blend perfectly. We usually use frozen brussels as they're more readily available in my area. Here's the link: http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=recipe3246&contentGroup=MSL&site=living
if that doesn't work you can search for it on her website. Cheers!