Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Chuck roast, my love, at last I find you

Chuck roast with golden beets and red potatoes

Finally, finally the Coop has the fabled chuck roast beef. And yet roast beef perfection lingers beyond my reach, for He Who Still Lives In Mountain Standard Time wouldn't go down for a nap until 5:00, which means the roast didn't go in until 5:30. I let it cook until 8:00 and it was still rich and melty, but it could have used another hour.

My roast consisted of the chuck (salted and browned before placing in oven), two cups of water, some chopped golden beets, a couple of danvers carrots, a quartered onion, marjoram, rosemary, and a couple of bay leaves. About half-way through roasting I added two chopped red potatoes.

I like golden beets because they have a milder flavor than red beets and they don't dye everything around them magenta. They were probably the most interesting part of the meal because they sweetened everything, including the gravy Lane made from the juices. The beets completely took over that gravy, and it tasted unlike any gravy I've ever had -- in a good way, of course.

So that was dinner. After dinner we had the opening ceremonies for the Christmas season. We looked at the Christmas activity book my mom made when we were kids and I read a couple of Christmas books from Lane's childhood. I just finished making ornaments for an advent calendar pillow and got to move the first ornament. And Jasper has already become attached to what I call The Filthy Santa Pillow, a pillow in the shape of Santa's head which had been in Lane's family since before he was born. It must be at least 40 years old.

Now Jasper knows who Santa Clause is and sort of what he does. Like most post-enlightenment, post-p.c. wars parents, I'm a little ambivalent about teaching the myth of Santa. But what the hell. I'll tell you this much, though. If Santa were coming tonight he'd skip our household. Jasper was uncharacteristically cranky, whiny, and clingy today. And the cherry on top was pooing in the bathtub again.

He woke back up when I was only one sentence into tonight's posting, in fact. And it made me want to march in there and yell "Ungrateful little beastie! Do you know I could have ferberized you. But I did not. And this is how you thank me? Now SHUT UP and GO TO SLEEP!" But he doesn't know who Ferber is, so there's no use.

4 comments:

Margo, darling said...

I am totally making this! I love beets, but have never had golden beets. Do they make the gravy sweet?
Happy beginning of the holiday season.
mb

janeannechovy said...

Yay! Welcome to the chuck roast bandwagon! Regular beets kind of taste like dirt to me, but if the golden ones are sweeter I might have to try them roasted as you describe.

Adriana Velez said...

Yes, the golden beets make the gravy very sweet, which is one of the things that made it so striking. But I don't know that they're sweeter than red beets.
They taste like dirt to you, JaneAnne? I don't know what to make of that, especially since I KNOW you wash your veggies thoroughly!

Adriana Velez said...

Yes, the golden beets make the gravy very sweet, which is one of the things that made it so striking. But I don't know that they're sweeter than red beets.
They taste like dirt to you, JaneAnne? I don't know what to make of that, especially since I KNOW you wash your veggies thoroughly!