Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Chicken and cherries braised in rum and buttermilk


Jasper finally fell asleep at midnight so I'll be especially brief.

Start by browning chicken in olive oil with chopped garlic. I used four chicken legs including the thighs. Remove chicken. Pour off fat. Add quarter cup rum and scrape up browned bits. Cook out alcohol before adding a cup of buttermilk and a cup of cherries. Lower temperature and DO NOT SIMMER or buttermilk will separate. Add chicken back in, cover, and cook until done, about 30 minutes. I served this over a bed of romaine hearts, cucumbers, and mandarin orange.


Is this not the most self-serving t-shirt I could possibly buy my son? But honestly Mom, if they made it in my size I'd wear one, too! That's orange juice with selzer he's drinking, by the way. Not a martini.

4 comments:

shaunamama said...

I definitely trying this one! It sounds fabulous!!!
Another great t-shirt for Jasper, by the way!!!

shaunamama said...

Do you think coconut flavored rum would do? That's the only rum I happen to have on hand...Gotta love those pina coladas.

Co said...

This dish appeals to me, but I have a question: what does it taste like? Sweet? Sour? Just curious. I'm not usually a big fan of cherries, but this sounds SO good.

julie said...

Omigosh, sounds amazing.

Maybe I'll have to buy some rum for the first time in my life.

Wait--where do I get cherries this time of year?