Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, January 16, 2006

Chili for everyone


I made chili for dinner tonight, and despite adding at least a tablespoon of chili powder and a dozen hatch peppers it still came out quite mild. In fact, even Jasper loved it.

I sauteed one chopped onion and two garlic cloves in oil and then added about 2 t cumin, 2 t paprika, and about 1 T chili powder. I cooked that paste for a minute or so before adding one can of whole tomatoes (Muir organic fire roasted), which I broke up with the side of the spoon. Then I added about 1/4 cup of that barbeque sauce I kept using this summer (the last of it), half a bag of frozen corn, one can of adzuki beans, one can of pinto beans, the hatch peppers, salt, and pepper. I simmered it all for about one hour.

Meanwhile I baked a loaf of cornbread, unfortunately from a mix (grabbed the wrong bag at the Coop). I didn't have any honey but I used molasses instead and it turned out ok.

The chili would have been great with some chopped scallions and cilantro, but I forgot about those and just topped with extra-sharp cheddar. Despite being very much on the mild side and a little too sweet (probably why Jasper liked it so much) it was a satisfying meal for a cold January evening.

If you're looking for a way to commemorate Martin Luther King Day (besides shopping) try joining the Million Voices for Darfur. Genocide is happening right now and no one in this country seems to care at all.

1 comment:

Swizzies said...

My favorite chili recipe is the Cooks Illustrated one - mmm, so good. Yours looks quite yummy too, although I would have to 86 the corn. :-) Your monkey cake and favors were SOOOO cute!