Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, February 27, 2006

Chile relleno souffle


The Hatch chiles remaining in my freezer were begging to be turned into chile rellenos, chiles stuffed with cheese, dipped in an egg batter, and then fried until gold and puffy. But this is not the year to deal with assembling and frying (perhaps when Jasper is five). Instead, Mom suggested I turn the rellenos into souffle.

I based this on the Joy of Cooking's cheese souffle recipe. I've written their egg proportions, but I actually used an egg ratio of 2 egg yolks to 6 egg whites because I wanted to use up some of the whites I had left over from the lemon tart I made last week. I was afraid the egg whites would have that no-so-fresh feeling but they were actually all right. The following recipe will be richer.

I pureed a dozen chiles which yielded about a cup. You could probably substitute with three or four fresh, roasted poblano peppers to get the same amount.

Lane raved about this dish all evening to my delight and relief. I served it with pheasant rosemary pate and Carr's whole wheat crackers, but we agreed that just refried beans and corn chips would have been a better accompaniment.

Start by making a bechamel sauce (2 T butter with 2 T flour, slowly stir in 1 1/4 cup milk and cook on low, stirring, until thickened) or, if you cannot eat wheat, just mix chicken broth with some cream as a substitute.

1/4-1/2 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 cup bechamel sauce
1 1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup pureed pepper
6 eggs
salt to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter souffle dish (or rammekins) and coat with cornmeal, shaking out excess.

Heat bechamel sauce in a saucepan and add . Stir in cheese and peppers. Whisk in six egg yolks one by one and the beat vigorously to combine. Remove from heat.

Beat six egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold in cheese mixture 1/4 at a time. Pour into dish and bake for 40-45 minutes, until souffle rises, is golden brown on top, and feels a little wobbly but firm.

And because I must... some photos of Jasper.

2 comments:

liz said...

I have a book that starts with the title "The Joy of..." but it's an entirely DIFFERENT kind of cook book.

Swizzies said...

Mmmmmm!!! This sounds SOOO good. Wanna come make it for me? :-)