Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Peppers in my burger


In my continuing quest to use all of the Hatch peppers my sister sent me I came upon this hamburger idea. Lane usually adds a handful of chopped calamata olives to his hamburger mix. For tonight's meal I added those and six chopped peppers. As I've mentioned before, this particular batch is not very spicy at all. So the peppers provided that almost piney pepper flavor and just a touch of heat. To complement the pepper I melted a layer of romano, a little bit nutty, a little bit piquant, a little bit sharp. Instead of breadcrumbs I crushed some old rosemary crackers. The burgers went on rosemary cibatta rolls, thus doubling the rosemary front, also a good compliment to the peppers.

Too bad we devoured the burgers before I remembered to photograph them. But I did get a shot of Jasper with the Valentine's cupcakes we made yesterday. I used a yellow cake recipe substituting whole wheat flour -- only because that's all I had. Whole wheat has a way of pushing your cupcake over into muffin territory, I'm afraid. I did add chopped candied orange peel to the batter, which improved it. But what saved the cupcakes from breakfastville was the frosting. I made the usual butter creamed with powdered sugar and then added a dollop of raspberry jam for flavor and color.

Fashion week came and went, and all we have to show for it is this exciting new trend Jasper started, wearing his shirts with one arm out. This is the second day in a row he has done this. He just wriggles one arm out of a sleeve and wears his shirt this way until I put him in his pajamas. Who does he think he is, Bowie?

Jasper is also wearing the necklaces we brought back from a Valentine's party Lane and I attended last night. We were greeted at the door by caterers in tie dye bearing peace symbol and flashing heart necklaces and little sake tumblers of "love potion." Inside there was a houkah, feather boas, and a palm reader, among many other fun treats. My favorite was the pommegranate mint lamb chops. I will have to try that myself sometime soon. Just as we were leaving we heard a mash-up of the Door's "Peace Frog," the only Doors song I like. Lane and I grabbed some boas and danced away -- we were the only people who danced that night, actually. But I think our host liked it. That's why you invite the young artist couple to your party.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Jasper had a tolerable time with the sitter. He recovered from his tearful farewell, had a little pizza, played with our almost-three-year-old neighbor upstairs, and then fell asleep. But he woke just as we were coming in and came running over, weeping and crying "oh, you're back, you're back!" This reduced me to a puddle of mush and we rewarded him for his devotion by playing with him for at least an hour before putting him back to sleep.

1 comment:

shaunamama said...

Awwwwww! Your little guy just melts my heart. What a love! The party sounds like you had a wonderful time...I was wondering if you did something fun out or made something wonderful in....

The burgers sound like something my hubby would love. He likes spicy. My palate is a little on the namby pamby side, but I'd love to try these!