Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Persimmons


I worked my shift at the Coop today, so dinner tonight was our favorite frozen Indian food. For dessert I served some fresh persimmons. These start appearing on grocery shelves around December and are a bright spot on the winter produce scene. They're usually sold underripe, when the flesh is still hard and astringent. Let them ripen on your counter until they feel like bags of jelly. The taste and texture remind me of a mango completely devoid of tartness -- almost banana-like in flavor. Lane and Jasper gave the fruit two face-making thumbs down on account of the texture. Good. More for me.

Another midwinter bright spot is page 8 of this week's Time Out New York. Who's my big art hero?

4 comments:

janeannechovy said...

And Lane outs himself as a big ol' WoW scoff. [Gasp!!!] At least the article didn't say anything about his Utah origins, or someone would be up in arms.

Writermama said...

I saw that in Time Out! Actually, Avram spotted it first. Congrats to Lane!

Swizzies said...

Ack - persimmons! They are awful, so I'm with Jasper and Lane on this one. Growing up as a SoCal kid, my gramma always had persimmons aplenty and always tried to make me eat them. She also made persimmon cookies. No!! They appear to be very popular here as well, and they are all over the place right now.

Swizzies said...

Love that Lane is a star, btw. How cool is that? I am a shameless Starbucks fan, so phooey on the haters-of-the-coffee-giant.