Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Scenes from a Superbowl chili cookoff


Our friend, Dave, entered a chili contest with his roommate at our local bar, O'Connor's. Their chili featured freshly-ground beef and smoked bacon from da best butcher in Brooklyn, Staubitz Market. Some other guy's chili won, but Dave and Ascher's chili was a serious contender.


There has been a recent backlash in my otherwise child-friendly neighborhood in the form of a manifesto written and distributed by a bartender for a different bar. It went something along the lines of "hate the way the strollers get in the way, and what are you doing bringing a kid in a bar anyway, maybe that's OK in Europe but this is 'merica." Ever notice how when someone can't find a better argument they lean on "but this is 'merica!" Anyway, Jasper was definitely welcome at O'Connor's, where the 20-something hipsters all gushed over him. I think I could actually look forward to Superbowl Sunday if I observed it this way every year.

1 comment:

Co said...

You may hate me for this, but I don't personally approve of bringing a child to a bar, so I think it's fair for a bartender to disapprove. My issue with it has nothing to do with strollers. It probably has more to do with the fact that alcoholism runs rampant in my family than anything else. I know that's my issue, but still...