Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, February 13, 2006

Split pea soup for a blizzard


Small ham hock*
2 cups dried split peas
8 cups water
3 bay leaves
1 onion, peeled and cut in half
3 carrots, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
apple cider vinegar

Put ham, peas, and water in large stock pot. Bring to boil and then add bay leaves, lower heat, and simmer about an hour.

Remove ham. Cut up meat and return to soup. Add onion (for flavor only) and carrots. Season to taste and continue cooking to desired thickness. Before serving remove onion and add a splash of apple cider vinegar.

*I got a ham bone from the charcuterie at Blue Apron. It was meaty and so large it poked out of the stock pot. This was all I did to prepare for the blizzard.

3 comments:

shaunamama said...

The recipe sounds delicious. Maybe I'll make it for Wednesday's meal...we're supposed to get a little more snow then.


I love the pictures of the snow angels!!! The first one is especially cute! He is an absolute doll!!!!

janeannechovy said...

I know what I want for dinner tomorrow--split pea soup with a side of Jasper! Yummy yummy.

No snow here, pretty much par for the course for February. The crocuses and forsythia (I love this--I have a huge one right outside my dining room window) are all in bloom and the daffodils are showing buds. Now if we could just get rid of all the box elder bugs . . . .

Writermama said...

Jasper's snow angels rock. Hey, do you have to make split pea soup with a ham bone? (We just finished reading Charlotte's Web!) Is there a vegetarian version that's worth making?