Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, March 27, 2006

Walnut and herb crusted roast pork loin


This is based on a Bill Telepan recipe in the Greenmarket Cookbook. I halved the recipe and substituted oregano for the winter savory I couldn't find. The crust is supposed to brown in the still-warm, but off, oven. But it didn't, so I recommend you keep the oven on at about 300 degrees after removing the pork.

1 1/2 pounds boneless pork loin (I used loin chops)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
head of garlic, halved crosswise
olive oil
1/2 cup walnuts
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 tablespoon chopped oregano leaves

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Salt and pepper the loin before roasting on a rack. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140 degrees. Remove from oven and keep warm.

At the same time roast the garlic, drizzled with olive oil, in a small pan for 20 or 30 minutes. When soft squeeze out the garlic. Mash if not completely soft.

Also while the loin roasts place walnuts on a sheet and toast about 7 minutes. Let cook and then combine with breadcrumbs, parsley, and oregano in food processor.

Spread garlic over one side of pork loin and then spread nut and herb mixture over that. Put back into oven until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.

I served this over grits with a side of buttered snow peas. As you can see from the picture, the pork turned a peculiar pink color when it roasted. But it was thoroughly cooked.

I thought we were out of the woods and ready to rejoin regular life, but no. This morning Jasper woke up with the dreaded pink eye. If your child comes down with pink eye you might as well hang a sign around his neck reading "unclean." It's highly contagious. No playgroup for us. It's been a relatively mild case, though, so maybe we will be fit to reenter society tomorrow.

2 comments:

janeannechovy said...

Adriana, I'm glad you're feeling better, and I'll hope for a happy and quick resolution of the pinkeye. It sort of looks in the most recent photos like Jasper's hair is getting darker--are we soon to see the last of the goldi locks?

Your week of absence coincided with a great week in the kitchen for me--I think because I was avoiding other projects like painting above the fridge where I pulled out the cabinet. Some highlights included a Thai chicken saute with coconut milk/ginger/cilantro sauce, pan-seared hanger steak, maple-glazed roast chicken and sweet potatoes, and the Cuban classic ropa vieja, with yellow rice. I've had a happy tummy all week.

Adriana Velez said...

That IS a great cooking week! I could go for some Thai coconut milk/ginger saute myself.

Yes, we're losing the golen locks. In fact, I'm expecting him to look completely different when we give him his summer haircut. His roots are about two shades darker than his ends!