Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, April 24, 2006

The apartment's a mess but I made lasagna


I made a vegetarian version of my usual lasagna (spelled with an "e" for some reason, sigh) with fresh chives in the ricotta mix. The first layer has sliced portobello and cremini mushrooms. The second layer has sliced (lengthwise) zucchini and diced fennel bulb. You hardly miss the sausage at all.

We saw the Judd show at Christie's over the weekend. Ahh, made me want to keep my eyes closed for the rest of the day. Must see it again before it closes.

Two of my favorite things about spring arrived at the Coop today: rhubarb and ramps! So I made a rhubarb pie. And I made chicken stock. I am so very tired now.

3 comments:

Writermama said...

I'm dying to make that lasagne, but the link you gave for the recipe didn't work.

BEAUTIFUL PIE! I hope Lane and Jasper know how lucky they are.

Adriana Velez said...

You are too kind -- thank you.

As it turns out, the post doesn't actually have the recipe, just this (see below). But I'll add my recipe as well.

Everyone has lasagna recipes, and mine is adapted for an especially large pan so I won't replicate it here. But I will mention a few elements to my lasagna.

I read a great idea on the back of the pasta box. Instead of cooking all the noodles at once and then keeping them in icewater, just boil the few that you need a layer at a time -- in most cases, four noodles (six for me). Just boil for four minutes, since baking will soften the noodles further.

I've mentioned how much I love fontina cheese. I use a lot of fontina in place of mozzarella just for variety's sake. But I do like to put a layer of sliced fresh mozzarella on the top.

I also like to mix herbs (tarragon and today, some purple basil) into the ricotta mix. The flavors of the herbs come out more brightly than if they're muddled in the tomato sauce.

Sauce: 1 small chopped onion and 2 minced cloves of garlic in olive oil, add 32-oz can crushed tomatoes, 4-oz tomato paste, salt and pepper to taste, and herbs if you want. Simmer about 10 minutes then set aside.

Ricotta mix: 1 pound ricotta, 1 beaten egg, 1 cup grated fontina cheese, 1/2 cup parmesean (substitute either with mozzarella). Add fresh herbs if you like.

Line pan with thin layer of sauce. Add layer of noodles, then ricotta mix, then veggies, then sauce, then noddles, then ricotta mix, veggies, more sauce, noodles, and top with 1 cup grated mozzarella and thin slices of fresh mozzarella, optional.

Bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees.

shaunamama said...

Oh my goodness, this sounds wonderful. I've never had the courage to try rhubarb pie. Your pie crust looks DIVINE!