Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

El diablito made me do it

I made this Japanese beef stew again. This time I used beef broth, which made it darker and richer. I also used butternut squash, promising myself that this would the LAST squash of the season. But it's a wonderful stew that makes the most of what is now a most tedious vegetable. We had it with sticky rice.

I was only half joking when I threatening to remove Jasper's splint yesterday, but he actually pushed me to it today. I turned my back for a couple minutes to pick up and he managed to unwrap the ace bandage and was shredding the cotton flannel. I could see where this was headed and decided to put us both out of our misery by carefully cutting the thing off. His hand is better, if still a little sore. And the smart little guy is still careful not to use that hand more than he has to.

Meanwhile I think I've actually pulled a back muscle from all the coughing. Oh when will it end?!?

5 comments:

Di said...

Well, now we've discovered a formerly unknown link: Janet K and butternut squash DO have something in common...

Co said...

Sorry to hear about your physical ills. It's been a bad winter all around. (I, too, have managed to pull something in my back due to violent coughing. Hopefully that will go away soon for you.)

Feel better. You and the littl'un.

Janet M. Kincaid said...

Tedious seems to be the word of the month and I love it! The funny thing is, a friend emailed me last night and asked if I'd be interested in some freelance editing work while I'm in limbo. The subject matter is tobacco research and she wrote, "it's time consuming and tedious..."

Glad to know I'm like butternut squash and that my skill for tedium will be put to good use!

I'm a butternut squash! I'm a butternut squash! I'm a butternut squash! ...

Janet M. Kincaid said...

P.S. Adriana, you may want to see if the doctor can give you a script for an antibiotic. It sounds to me like your cold is rolling over into borderline bronchitis. I had the same problem several years ago and it finally took a small round of antibiotics to clear it up.

Adriana Velez said...

Di, you are so cruel to point out this unfortunate use of the word. I definitely had it on the brain. Janet, I didn't mean anything by it, I swear! You are niether tedious nor a butternut squash.

You may, however, be ginger.