Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Green pasta


I asked Jasper what he wanted to eat for dinner tonight and he said green pasta. I assumed he meant spinach linguini. So I boiled some with peas (which Jasper helped shell) and tossed with pan-crisped salami, minced ramps, Parmesan, and olive oil. When I asked Jasper what animal he'd most like to be he said an elephant. I don't expect you to find that as fascinating as I do; I just mention it to say how much I love that he can answer questions like these now.

Speaking of ramps, thanks to Puddle for the additional background on ramps! Ramps cream cheese on pumpernickel, I must try that this weekend. I also loved the Times article today on wild edibles, especially this last quote: "Well," she said, finally. "What we do here is, we don't complain about the weeds. We eat them."


We've been reading The Runaway Bunny and I think Jasper took it a little too seriously because he actually did run away today at the playground. Suddenly he was just gone! I didn't get that sick feeling you get when something truly horrible happens so I was hoping I could trust that feeling ("denial," Lane said). Finally I heard our friends, Shelley and Emmett, yelling from the edge of the playground. Jasper had run out and was zooming across an adjacent field. When I finally caught up with him he just giggled and kept running. He knows about not running into the street but he just loves exploring and moving. I'm going to have to keep a sharper eye out for that guy. Just writing this makes my palms sweat. I've been warned.

3 comments:

Swizzies said...

Okay, now I've listened to you wax rhapsodic in ecstasies of ramps twice...so now here's my counter-offer.

I frequently get a little to-go lunch from the Italian Cafe on the ground floor of my building at work. Lovely little place, the best coffee ever - oh, and the best little brioches of a morning as well (perfect accompaniment to the best coffee, of course).

Anyhow, they have a very limited selection each day - sometimes just salads or panini, and 2-3 times a week a soup or pasta dish. They don't speak English so much, so we make do with a gazpacho of French, German, Italian, Spanish and English. This can be tricky for those more rare ingredients - and I frankly often end up w/ Pasta surprise, or zuppa di giorno a la sorpresa. Today, in fact, I got a lovely green pea and mint soup (hot, not cold), and it's delish.

HOWEVER, last week I got a pasta w/ SOME kind of pesto that could not be determined beforehand, so I threw caution to the wind, and my CHF 9.50 to the lady, and figured, hell, it's green pesto - likely to be some basil relative or rocket or the like. But then I opened the container at my desk. And the fumes, my god the fumes. It was like garlic on crack and meth at the same time. I gingerly (ginger: Another ingredient I can now say in German and French, from a wonderful carrot-ginger soup a few days ago) took a few bites to stave off hunger and regretted it for the next two days. Breath that was flammable was the least of it - I also had deadly heartburn from it. I finally gathered through the help of some multi-lingual friends, that I had been eating a puree of unmitigated raw ramps.

Now, I'm a girl who has very much enjoyed the ramp here and there in the past (first got acquainted with them through the farmer's market in Madison) - but this was ramp overload many times over. And my colleagues complained of the smell all that day (of the thrown-out remains of my ramp pesto - they were kind enough not to complain about my breath right to my face...and who could, with breath like that coming out??). So I'm a little disenchanted with ramps right now, but in the meantime I'll lean on your faith.

Adriana Velez said...

Hah! Well, that's wild edibles for you -- they can vary widely in flavor and intensity. Or maybe the chef just got carried away. At any rate, my condolences to you and your colleagues. And now I'm dying to try that hot green pea and mint soup.

Anonymous said...

Bacon here. runnaway bunny huh...

i bought the book on my therapist's recommendation. he says he encounters two very distinct reactions to the book. number 1 is "oh how i wish i had that when i was young". mine was number 2, which is "jesus christ, that mother is just like mine, and she'll do anything to keep me from drinking, smoking pot, and sleeping with my 16 year old peers."

what is my point? i don't know, except that the flip side of unconditional love, which is critical for confident, healthy development, and which i was (and still am, at 40) so lucky to have, is that i then longed for space once i reached that critical age of 16.

on the other hand, my girlfriend was raised by wolves. i prefer unconditional love.