Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Risotto redux


Some foods, like lasagna, actually taste better the day after they were cooked. And then there's risotto. That is best enjoyed immediately, if not straight from the pot. So what do you do with the leftovers? No point in microwaving -- this just leads to a starchy ball, all the creamy goodness of yesterday but a fond memory.


I like to make little cakes out of day-old risotto. And while I'm at it, why not have a little fun and use cookie cutters? First put the risotto between two sheets of waxed paper and roll out to about 1/2-inch thick. You want the risotto firmly compressed so it will hold together, but if it is too thin it will fall apart in the pan. Then cut out shapes with cookie cutters. We tried stars, hearts, and little men and found the stars and hearts worked best. Little men proved a little unwieldy when Lane tried to grill them. After you cut out one batch simply reform risotto into a new ball and roll out again.

Lane grilled some sirloin, set it aside to rest, and then grilled the risotto cakes in the same pan. He then served the meat and rice with sliced avocado and mango chutney.

Today we went to the Cherry Blossom Festival at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens.

2 comments:

Swizzies said...

Cookie-cuttered leftover risotto shapes pan fried till golden-brown! I never! You are soooo creative, A - I admire it immensely.

shaunamama said...

Your meal sounds wonderful. I have to say that I don't think Lane has aged in the last 20 years! I love Jasper's hat.