Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

What to make when you were expecting risotto

I thought I’d make a nice spring risotto with asparagus and chicken wild mushroom sausage. But I managed to buy all the ingredients except Aborio rice. What to do… Luckily I had some leftover brown rice on hand and remembered that milky rice I made back in September.

Today’s was a simplified version. I cooked the rice in oil, added a chopped garlic clove and some parsley, and covered with milk. After it came to a simmer I put the lid on and let it cook for about half an hour. Then I added more milk, brought it to a simmer again, and covered it again for another half hour. Finally, I added chopped sausage and asparagus to the top and cooked for yet another 15 minutes or so until the rice was tender. Brown rice takes forever to cook.

I grated in about 1/3 pound of pecorino cheese, stirred it in, and served the dish. It was suspiciously casserole-like. I can only imagine what might have been if I'd used cream of mushroom soup and velveeta.

I forgot to photograph it before we ate it, so I give you instead another installation by Jasper. We were not allowed to touch it, but he would allow photographs (no flash, please).

1 comment:

Janet M. Kincaid said...

Poor Jasper. Talk about break your heart...

Sometimes missing ingredients turn into undiscovered delights. Sounds like you found one here.