Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Happy birthday to me


My first attempt at a real buttercream frosting and with cake decorating tools. Just between us -- I have no idea what I'm doing. But it was still fun. I added violet syrup to the buttermilk cake, clotted cream filling, and frosting, then topped with candied violets. Hope that's not overkill.

For dinner we'll have wild Long Island littleneck clams with fresh linguini and peas.

The day started off miserably. It was gloomy and pouring rain on our way to singing time at Perch Cafe. During Jasper's favorite song (starts out "If you're happy and you know it" and segues into "Jailhouse Rock") a one-year-old projectile vomited right in front of us. Jasper caught a whiff and immediately vomited in my lap. I laughed my head off, which I think the rest of the parents found horrifying and inappropriate. And both kids were perfectly fine 30 seconds later. By 2:00 this afternoon the clouds had parted and I was finally given the gloriously sunny day that I have always taken as my due every May 16.

8 comments:

liz said...

hehehe You are awesome Adrianna. I would have thought it was funny, too. Like that crazy scene in Stand By Me when everyone pukes during the pie eating contest.

Writermama said...

Wow! Happy Birthday! That cake is gorgeous. Glad it was safely ensconsed at home and away from that projectile vomiter.

Anonymous said...

p.s. happy birthday!
liz

shaunamama said...

Happy Happy Birthday! You share your birthday with Pervis Jackson of the Spinners, as well as Ms. Janet Jackson! William Spooner of the Grateful Dead is in that group too...(I heart the Dead, and no...I didn't have to look those up).
The cake looks absolutely scrumptious! Your vomit story was so funny...I would have laughed too.
Sending you birthday hugs!!!

Hevansrich said...

Hello Adriana!

I have limited blog-reading time (and even less blog-commenting time!) but I have loved reading about your cooking and your family for some time now - thanks for the peek and I just wanted to say hello and wish you a Happy Birthday!
take care-

Heather R.

Anonymous said...

Oops - posted on the other days post. Happy Birthday Adrianna. Many happy returns of the day to you!!!!

Janet M. Kincaid said...

Adriana,

Happy Birthday!

Loved the projectile vomiting story! I would have laughed, too.

And the cake is gorgeous. I'm sure it was a tasty as it was lovely.

All the best for the coming year.

Janet

Adriana Velez said...

Thanks so much, everyone!