Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Pad slope


So after that crack I made in my last post about "sorry I find my kid much more interesting than you" the gods punished me this afternoon. I ran into a friend I hadn't seen for months, someone I've long meant to get to know better, and Jasper kept grabbing me by the hand and pulling me away. It was really frustrating. Hey, I was kidding when I said that! Do you hear me?!?

In fact, it was a difficult afternoon because I skipped naptime for the second day in a row. Even though I blather on about how much I LOVE to spend oodles of time fawning over my son I still need an hour or two away from him each day. I need the naptime as much as he does. So when it was entirely too late for a nap I scooped him up and announced that we were going home. He cried for about two minutes and then fell asleep in the stroller. I enjoyed a brain-dead stroll around the neighborhood, chocolate on my knee, dirt on my face and elbows, hair a bushy mess.

So that's the bad news. The good news is, Lane got a commission to do work for a new city building going up in the Bronx, to be designed by this exciting architectural firm. That's why I didn't post yesterday. Lane made margaritas, bought a rotisserie chicken from Key, and mixed up some guacamole. We had us a fiesta.

Today I made the pad Thai I was going to make yesterday. I used tofu instead of shrimp and for veggies, broccoli and baby corn. I forgot scallions, skipped the sesame seeds, and garnished with chopped mint and cilantro. The Coop had bean sprouts for once, but the box got crushed on the way home and then Jasper took it out of the refrigerator and when I tried to take it back the sprouts exploded all over the kitchen floor. So we skipped that as well. Below is the Times recipe I posted about a few weeks ago, with a few alterations to help you adapt it for other meats and veggies.

Pad Thai

8 ounces rice noodles

1 tablespoon tamarind paste

1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce

1 1/2 tablespoons sugar

1 tablespoon lime juice [or sub sugar and juice with 2 tablespoons Rose's lime juice because you used up all the fresh limes yesterday on the margaritas]

various vegetables, lightly steamed

1/2 cup canola oil

2 teaspoons minced garlic

1 teaspoon minced ginger

16 large shrimp, peeled and deveined [or equivalent amount of chicken or tofu]

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

3 scallions, thinly sliced

1 cup bean sprouts

1/3 cup chopped salted peanuts

3 tablespoons chopped cilantro

1 lime, cut into wedges

Sesame seeds

Red pepper flakes (optional).

1. Place the noodles in a bowl and cover with cold water. Let sit for 1 hour. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the tamarind paste, fish sauce, sugar, lime juice and 1/4 cup water; set aside.

2. Drain the noodles. Set a wok over high heat for 1 minute, then add the oil and heat until almost smoking. Add the garlic and ginger; saute for 30 seconds. Add the shrimp and saute until almost cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. [Skip this step if you're using tofu.]

3. Add the noodles and stir-fry for 1 minute. Pour in three-quarters of the tamarind sauce and toss to coat the noodles. Add more sauce if needed. Cook until the noodles are al dente, then push them to one side of the wok and scramble the eggs in the remaining space. Add the protein whatever, veggies, scallions, bean sprouts and half the peanuts. TLinkoss to mix. Divide among 4 plates and garnish with the remaining peanuts, the cilantro, lime wedges, sesame seeds and (for brave children) red pepper flakes. Serves 2 adults and 2 children.

Adapted from Naomi Pommeroy of Gotham Building Tavern.

JaneAnne just reminded me that this is the Naomi "Hebberoy" who just split with her husband and partner, Michael Hebb. Read hear for the tragic tale of a young empire's demise.

2 comments:

janeannechovy said...

Saw a piece about the Hebberoys in the weekly free rag today in the chiropractor's waiting room. Apparently they're going back to their original names, Naomi Pomeroy and Michael Hebb. :(

Adriana Velez said...

Oh yeah! The sad split of the King and Queen of Portland food -- geez, I forgot to add that little detail.

Here's the article in case anyone wants to know more:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/entertainment/114679772052210.xml&coll=7