Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Rhubarb chutney


But first, Jasper caught the eye of a photographer at the park in DUMBO Monday who was kind enough to forward the pictures he took. Here are a few.

JaneAnne sent me this recipe, so in a way she is guest editing today. I didn't marinade the chops because I had to use the rhubarb today -- looks like we're at the end of rhubarb season. I had good Coop chops, though, and they were juicy. I love the chutney. I halved the recipe and still have some left over -- what to do with it...

From chef Rocky Maselli of Marchè restaurant in Eugene, OR

Rhubarb-Ginger Chutney

1 C apple cider vinegar
2 C packed brown sugar
4 lbs rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2" pieces (about 8-10 C)
1/2 C peeled fresh ginger, sliced and cut into a fine julienne
4 cloves garlic, peeled & minced
12 black peppercorns
1 C currants or raisins
1 t salt

Bring the vinegar and sugar to boil in a large non-reactive pot. Add the rhubarb and all the other ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens. Makes about 1 quart.

It's supposed to go with grilled pork chops, marinated overnight before grilling with a little dijon, olive oil, garlic, pepper & fresh thyme leaves.

8 comments:

Writermama said...

Oh, Jasper is so beautiful. So sad that the rhubard season is so short.

shaunamama said...

Oh my gosh, those photos are absolutely beautiful!! The top one just took my breath away!

My picky palate as a kid kept me from enjoying rhubarb, and I've never had the nerve to try it since. Maybe one of these days..( I wish I had a dollar for everytime I said that phrase!)

janeannechovy said...

Those pictures are awesome. But he almost looks like a different child than in your pictures. It may be the outdoor setting and natural lighting, but I think the different person behind the lens makes a difference, too. Now we can see what Jasper looks like to an outsider as well as what he looks like to his parents.

Shauna, this would be a totally risk-free way to try rhubarb--even my five-year-old liked it on his pork chops!

Margo, darling said...

Those pictures are just STUNNING. Wow.

Adriana Velez said...

I just swooned when I saw them. I love his dramatic saturated colors!

And I sure wish Ignacio could come over and photograph my food every evening. Maybe he'd trade meals for images?

liz said...

wow! i love the top one best. what a treasure. i miss ny already.

Janet M. Kincaid said...

What amazing pictures. Five year olds are sophisticated in their own way and these pictures really capture that. They also lend Jasper a... what's the word I'm looking for? ... maturity? depth? intrigue? ... one fails to normally look for in most kids his age. I especially like the first and third ones. See if this guy will photograph for food!

janeannechovy said...

Janet, um, Jasper's two. It's Anders who's five.

Just keeping you straight on adorable blond Scary children.