Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Roast pork with rhubarb sauce


I let my crock pot do the cooking today. But I always (usually) brown my meat first before plunking it in. Today's "roast" was a pork butt. I added about two cups chopped rhubarb, two winsome little bunches of baby carrots (yellow and purple), two garlic green onions sliced lengthwise, two bay leaves, a tablespoon of honey, salt, and water to cover. I cooked the roast on high for an hour and then on low for another hour.

When the roast was done I removed it and the carrots. Then I melted a tablespoon of butter in a wide saucepan, added 1/4 cup of white wine, and cooked that for about a minute. Then I added most of the juices with the rhubarb and added a few sprigs of thyme. After the sauce reduced on high for about 15 minutes I strained it over the pork and carrots. It was bright, tangy sauce, if an odd color.

As a side I boiled some red potatoes, slathered them with butter, and sprinkled with minced fresh rosemary. How I love my rooftop herb garden!



We also made a burrito.


Now that I've admitted to doctoring my photos, here's what I usually do. When I use a flash the pictures always turn out looking like crime scenes, so I photograph without a flash. This often results in dim images, so I kick up the exposure and sometimes the brightness and contrast. The no-flash approach also often results in a reddish tint, so sometimes I'll try and key the photo back to the green/cool side. I did that today with the pork picture -- that plate is supposed to be navy blue. Now it's green. Before it was purple. I give up!

No comments: