Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, June 26, 2006

Alone with my spaghetti


The camera is refusing to download photos again -- you don't really need to see a picture of my bowl of spaghetti, do you? And despite what my profile says, it's actually been cool and rainy (special thanks to Ignacio Ayestaran for the profile photo -- the above goofy photo is mine -- and Don't Trust Snakes for the 2nd masthead quote). This means I felt capable of applying heat in order to prepare today's meal.

Our building had a coop meeting this evening during our usual dinnertime. Because our building has only six units, everyone is on the board. The meeting was held at my upstairs neighbor's apartment. My neighbor has a three-year-old daughter who is one of Jasper's favorite playmates, not least because the child has the most extensive arsenal of toys imaginable, so Jasper was invited up to play with his little friend during the meeting. Lane attended, which means (and this is the whole point of today's post) I ate dinner alone.

Alone! If only I'd had a glass of wine to go along with my whole-wheat spaghetti with ground beef, tomato, zucchini, and fresh herb sauce. It was delicious with the Mitford sisters biography I'm reading, but the best way to eat this pasta is directly from the pot, while inhaling the steaming rosemary.

I ducked out briefly to retrieve some laundry from the basement and heard my neighbor yelling over the children's screaming. Obviously the kind thing would have been to invite both children down to my own apartment. But I went with that "a happy mother is the best mother" line of thinking and returned to my Elizabeth David evening.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's too bad this quote "a happy mother is the best mother" doesn't apply to your neighbor also. Good for you Adriana - you deserve a break.

Adriana Velez said...

Oh, I don't worry about her -- she takes good care of herself, too. I don't know why she volunteered to take on both kids while hosting the meeting, though! But that was her decision, and far be it from me to talk her out of it.

MWR said...

Rats, I missed seeing the quote ;)