Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Garden special: mystery squash and lavender update

Just to keep things fresh here at WIMFD I thought I'd give occasional garden updates. (Of course, I should have come up with this idea weeks ago when my little green friends were just beginning to make their appearance.) Behind Jasper you can see some of my herbs, the rosemary, sage, oregano thyme, regular thyme, marjoram, and basil.

One side-effect of composting is that you occasionally plant a seed by accident. I seem to have either a squash or a melon plant growing next to my tarragon. It's started flowering. I'll have to move it before it starts competing with the tarragon, which has been there for five years. Sorry, squash.

This lavender is also about five years old and only started flowering two years ago. Every year there are a few more blossoms. I might actually be able to do something with them this year.

3 comments:

shaunamama said...

I wish my basil would actually grow! I have three tiny little leaves that are just sitting there not getting any bigger. Your plants are monsterous! Wow! Do you greenhouse them in the winter?

Adriana Velez said...

It's hard to tell from the photo, but the basil is actually six little plants. Basil always does really well on the roof, for some reason, but it's a VERY thirsty plant! We have to water it more than the others.

I cover the plants over the winter and hope for the best. Some, like the tarragon and rosemary, are hardy and come back every winter. But I always have to buy new basil. Good luck with yours!

janeannechovy said...

Shauna, one trick to getting your basil to grow is to cut it. Counterintuitive, I know, but it works. I've got to go cut some of mine, as a matter of fact, for just that reason. Chop off the top part, leaving just a couple of little leaves at the bottom, and you'll see. Make sure it has enough water and enough nutrients (basil, like all annuals, needs lots of feeding).

Adriana, I think the mystery plant looks a little like a cucumber--it kind of looks like mine, anyway. I have some volunteer tomatoes this year. Always exciting to have a surprise.