Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Liberate yourself with meatloaf


Throw all caution to the wind! Toss a melange of ingredients into a bowl and mush it all up with your hands. It'll be great! OK, I can't promise that. But there are as many different ways to make meatloaf as there are people on the planet. Here is what you need for meatloaf:

A pan
Ground meat
Some sort of binder (usually egg and breadcrumbs)
Variety of seasonings and vegetables for flavoring

Some meatloaf recipes call for five different kinds of ground-up game meat with dried Dijion mustard and eye of newt. And they're probably spectacular. But I typically aim medium, as you can tell from most of my posts. I suppose the one thing to watch out for is making sure your meatloaf is moist enough without going soggy. One can of paste plus a small amount of liquid (soy sauce or Worcester sauce) appears to be enough for 1 pound ground meat plus 3/4 cup breadcrumbs.

Today's meatloaf consisted of the following:

1 lb. ground beef
3/4 cup bread crumbs
2 chopped shallots
1 grated carrot
1 cup chopped spinach
1/4 cup chopped calamata olives
1/4 cup chopped wild mushrooms
1 T soy sauce
1 can tomato paste
1 egg
salt and pepper

At JaneAnne's suggestion, we had this with some of the rhubarb chutney I made two weeks ago. I also boiled some egg noodles as a side dish. I put the carrots and spinach in the meatloaf so I could avoid cooking a vegetable side dish as well. As it is, Jasper colored all over our dark blue wool rug with pink sidewalk chalk while I was preparing the meatloaf. Little monster...

3 comments:

liz said...

I love the recipes with some Jasper on the side. It's not a post without a Jasper picture or story to make it complete.

janeannechovy said...

We'll probably finish the last of our rhubarb chutney tonight with pork chops, but since it's been cool and wet here lately there's plenty more to pick in the yard.

I made the rhubarb-ginger jam recipe you posted, and used it to make a trifle-y dessert. I used storebought pound cake, sliced thin (1/4 inch), spread with jam, top with another layer of cake, then copious fresh local strawberries and whipped cream, then chopped crystallized ginger and diced roasted hazelnuts. Actually, we had individually plated servings of this on Sunday for my birthday dinner (I had seconds), and since it was so delicious I made it in my trifle bowl and took it to a church barbecue on Monday. I think I'll buy more strawberries and poundcake tomorrow and make it again, even.

shaunamama said...

Ah, the tiny artist is back at work on his blue canvas. What a crack up, he is!
I haven't had a good meatloaf since I had it at my mother-in-law's house. I'm going to make this one asap. It sounds so yummy!