Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, July 24, 2006

California rolls in disarray


I'm still glowing from the sushi rolls I made this weekend for a dinner party. We learned how to make sushi rolls from At the Japanese Table, which Lane bought for my birthday a few years ago. They're not too as difficult as you'd think, though they are time consuming. I wanted to make more today but there were the following obstacles:

  1. It's Monday, which means no trustworthy Blue Moon fish stand at my local farmer's market
  2. Couldn't bike to other trusted fish market in Carroll Gardens because we're missing the strap for Jasper's bike seat
  3. Started dinner too late after walking to Target to buy Jasper a Spiderman doll, which you can't find in Park Slope because everyone's stores are chock full of precious wooden elves from Germany and hand-knit long-limbed stuffed animals created to appeal more to design-conscious parents than children
  4. Came home tired

What could have been California rolls (Coop has crabmeat mixed with whitefish in the frozen foods) turned into a salad. But we liked it anyway.

California rolls in disarray

2 cups cooked short-grain rice
2 cups crab or crab-ish meat
1 cucumber, julienne cut
1 bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced crosswise
1 avocado, sliced
soy sauce
mirin
pickled ginger
wasabi

Toss rice, crab, cucumber, scallions, and avocado. Mix in soy sauce and mirin and garnish with ginger and, if you're brave, wasabi.

Spiderman is Jasper's second action figure. His first was Buz Lightyear, which we both loved. Alas, we lost him after only a week and a half. Damn! Since then I'd promised to buy him another, sucker mom that I am. But he keeps seeing Spiderman at the playground. One of his little friends brought one today and stood in front of me rhapsodising about Spiderman in a whisper with the zeal of a cult member for at least five minutes. Superheroes can be very important to a little boy.

Unfortunately we bought the larger-sized action figure. I wanted to get a little one, but the little action figures at Target all had weird accoutrement attached, like techno-colored numchucks (how do you even spell that?) coming out of Spidey's back. Why do we need this? So now I'm dreading taking Jasper's Spiderman to the playground and letting his friend see it because we're going to look like obnoxious show-offs. And I'm going to have this awkward conversation with his mother about how I wanted to buy the smaller Spiderman, where do you get one anyway, and she's not even going to care but I get myself worked up over these kinds of things because I played with Barbies when I was a kid, not superheroes.

2 comments:

Co said...

Yes, I know what you mean about the precious wooden elves from Germany thing... I played with Barbies, too, but I had a brother which got me access to cool boy toys as well. My brother and I would spend hours with a ruler, a handful of rubberbands and green army men which we would position around the house and shoot down with the rubber bands, sling-shot style from the ruler. Sometimes our parakeet helped us attack from above. We called her the Green Baron. No precious wooden elves or ugly dolls for us. Although in my neck of the slope, you can find action figures... they're just campy action figures of Jesus or Sigmund Freud.

I found a cute spiderman action figure a few years back in Bay Ridge. It was my Toys for Tots Christmas mission.

liz said...

hehe. i can't imagine how you would find a simple white carter's onesie in brooklyn without target- so I can't imagine looking for spider man.

still miss the place, but i feel your pain.