Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Chile lime chicken


This is a variation on chile verde

4 chicken legs with skin
1-2 T olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
4-6 hatch chiles or poblano peppers, skinned and seeded
2 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
chile powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 T butter

Season chicken generously with salt, pepper, and chile powder. Brown skin side down in olive oil, turn, and add lime juice, chiles, and tomatoes. Cover and cook until chicken is done (about 15 minutes). Remove chicken to a platter reserving chiles, tomatoes, and juices in pan.

Add butter to pan and reduce sauce, scraping the bottom of the pan.

To eat, peel off crisp, seasoned skin and eat. Shred meat off bone, fill tortilla, roll, and cover with sauce. Or you could be civilized and pour the sauce over the chicken and eat it with a fork and knife. Would go well garnished with cilantro and served with rice. We had corn on the cob.

Reduced fat version: drain fat from pan after browning chicken and skip the pat of butter when reducing the sauce.

3 comments:

anonymous jones said...

Hi! Lime zest is nice on oven-baked chicken, ever tried that?

Co said...

Sounds really good and simple enough for an amateur like me to make.

And thanks for the reduced fat suggestion. My cholesterol is a little high for my age even though I exercise and eat fairly well (thank you underactive thyroid). I am not driving myself nutty about it, but I am trying to make some simple changes in the way I cook to see if that helps. So reduced fat suggestions are always welcome.

Adriana Velez said...

Sounds delicious, Jones. I'll have to try that when it gets cold here again.