Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Friday, July 28, 2006

SSP

I completely forgot to mention the opening band, Slavic Soul Party! It's exactly what it sounds like, and even better. According to Jeff Cobb (subbing for Kennny G while he's on vacation), each member could lead his own band, so talented are they. And the best part is you can catch them most Tuesday nights at Barbes at 9th Street and 6th Avenue in Park Slope.

Pesto:

Fresh herbs, usually basil but just about any will do
Nuts, usually pine but again, try anything
Garlic
Parmesean cheese

Grind all in a food processor. I've never known the exact proportions but, say it with me, you can just eyeball it all and come out all right.

This eyeball approach also explains this and the previous post. I like to make a little gin and tonic on a Friday afternoon, but I've never learned the correct proportions. Apparently I keep getting it wrong. But it's all right!

Gin and tonic, always my cocktail of the summer

Gin
Tonic
Fresh mint (none today)
Juice of 1 lime
Ice cubes

Roll lime around the counter with the heel of your hand, then juice into glass. Add fresh mint leaves and crush with pestle or reamer or whatever you have handy. Pour in some tonic, gin, and ice cubes. Enjoy while your son enjoys the second nap of the day. Or is he down for the night? Who can tell.

2 comments:

Adriana Velez said...

I forgot -- olive oil! For the pesto, not the G&T.

shaunamama said...

I tried the pork chops!!! I must say that they are now a family favorite. You're a genius in the kitchen, Adriana.
Thanks for that yummy recipe!