Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Fennel grapefruit salad with a side of raw meat


Friday night I served our guests raw meat. But let's start with the salad.

Fennel grapefruit salad

1 fennel bulb, halved and thinly sliced
1 superstar (or other sweet) onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 pink grapefruits, peeled, sectioned, and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
juice of 1/2 grapefruit
juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup blood orange-infused olive oil
(OR substitute lime and infused oil with juice from 1/2 orange and 1/4 cup olive oil)
1/2 cup toasted and crushed pecans
salt to taste

Toss fennel, onion, and grapefruit. Combine citrus juices, mustard and salt and slowly whisk in olive oil. Mix dressing into salad (I use my hands). Top with pecans.

Actually, I didn't have Dijon mustard. But the salad was all right anyway.

As an appetizer I rolled some goat cheese in fresh chopped basil and thyme. Then I drizzled olive oil over it. We had the cheese with these lovely Spanish olive oil crisp tortillas. They were actually sweet and probably would have gone better with the dessert, though.

I keep trying to make Tuscan steak with mixed success. The first time I tried it I nailed it, but lately I've been overly concerned with overcooking the steak -- and it's really hard to grill well in the dark. Anyway, start by infusing some oil in fresh herbs, preferably rosemary, lavender, and thyme. Grill a flank or other thin steak on each side until almost done. Then place on metal pan or plate and pour hot oil over the meat. Let sit for 10 minutes or so before slicing and serving.

Poor Jen and Pedro -- they were very polite about the fragrant but raw pieces of meat on their plates, insisting that they like their steak raw. At least the corn was cooked just right.

For dessert we served vanilla ice cream over peaches and nectarines with some sweet, syrupy balsamic I splurged on after we returned from California.

2 comments:

shaunamama said...

I'm trying that steak! It sounds divine. I bet it would work well too with grilled London Broil...a fave of the hubsters with black bean salsa on the side. Yum!

puddle said...

Stole your picture AND the recipe for the baby blog. If you want them back, let me know.

Sounds totally delicious!!

♥s