Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The giant tomato


It started with a giant tomato. Jasper saw it at the Coop and carried it all the way to the register. The tomato was about the size of a cantaloupe.

I wasn't quite sure what to do with is, so I let it sit for a couple of days. It started to look like it was about to turn. I put it in the refrigerator. Later, while I was making dinner, Jasper took it out and played with it as if it were a ball. You make these kinds of compromises sometimes when you're trying to get something done. I eventually reclaimed the tomato, just a little worse for the wear, and put it back in the refrigerator.

Once a tomato has been refrigerated it loses a little of its flavor, and because it had been played with I decided not to use it raw. Instead I washed it -- well -- and designated it for a sauce.

Lane ended up making the sauce after I roasted the tomato over a gas flame. He sauteed some garlic in oil and crushed the tomato with his hands into a bowl. Then he dumped the tomato into the pan along with some tomato paste, a little balsamic, and salt. That was pretty much it. We were going to add fresh basil but the basil was a little wilted today. He served the sauce over some beef ravioli. I forgot to take pictures. I wish you could see that tomato in its raw state.

And that is the story of the giant tomato.

4 comments:

shaunamama said...

That tomato sauce sounds fabulous! I must try it! Jasper & the Giant Tomato...sound like it could be the sequel to James & the Giant Peach! tee hee!

Memory book is on it's way! Should be seven to nine business days. Just in time for you guys to be back from your trip, hopefully!

Janet M. Kincaid said...

Look at that boy! He gets cuter and cuter with each picture.

Loved the Giant Tomato story. I think ShaunaMama's right: you should write a book. James and the Giant Peach is my most favorite book ever. I'm sure I'd love Jasper and the Giant Tomato.

Adriana Velez said...

Thanks -- yeah, if I were to write a children's story about Jasper it would have to include a tomato. He loves them. And rocket ships would have to figure in as well.

liz said...

cute- that's something you wouldn't really remember in 5 yrs without blogging about it.

Zane thinks all apples are balls. He throws them pretty hard, but I didn't want to bother trying to explain 'this ball is one we eat and NOT throw' at age 1.5