Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Grilled salmon with blackberry and spinach salad


I just can't get enough of that Alaskan salmon they have at the Coop. Tonight I made a little sauce: 1 part soy sauce, 1 part sesame oil, 1 part fresh citrus juice. Over the weekend I juiced a lemon, a lime, and a grapefruit for another dish and I had some of the juice left over.

The juice came in handy for the salad dressing as well. The salad consisted of fresh spinach, blackberries, garbanzo beans, and scallions.


Lane just finished a commissioned piece for a collector, the last big project before our trip, so I kind of feel like we're already on vacation. That is why I suggested we go out for ice cream after dinner (I usually have dessert only on the weekend). Lane wanted to go the Coop and buy ingredients for milkshakes. But I was craving that Mayan Gold from Haagen Dazs.

My compromise was the following:

My Almost-Ultimate Milkshake

chocolate ice cream (Julie's organic)
3 Newman's O's
2 teaspoons peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of cardamom
pinch of allspice
1/4 cup milk

This is the almost-ultimate because the ultimate would include malt and chunks of dark chocolate. Where can I get malt -- anyone know?

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Your salad looks divine. I love berries in salads. I buy my malt powder in the drink section (by the hot chocolate, etc.) at the supermarket. But I've seen it a lot in the imported foods sections, too. Horlick's is our family favorite (from England) but Carnation isn't that bad. Oh, and I amazingly enough just saw it in my favorite Asian market. If you like malt balls, check out Maltesers (again from England), they are so far above Whoppers your head will spin.

Janet M. Kincaid said...

I second Lindsey's comment on the salad. And I'm sure the citrus infusion on it was lovely, too. And, I was about to suggest the tea/hot chocolate aisle of your grocer, too, but Lindsey beat me to it! Maltesers are the best.