Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

White gazpacho


No, this isn't another heat-induced suicide threat. I got the idea for white gazpacho from a recipe in The Daily Soup Cookbook. The soup is based on grapes instead of tomatoes, and in TDSC includes crushed almonds:

The original white gazpacho, made with cucumbers and heavy cream, was created in Spain hundreds of years ago. The story is: Cream was often unobtainable for peasant cooks, so in order to enjoy this smooth, refreshing soup, they used almond purees to achieve the same creamy base.


Because cream is readily available for this peasant I decided against the almonds. Their recipe yields a chunky soup; I wanted a smoother one. If you prefer chunky, blend only the cucumber seeds, finely chop the grapes, cucumber, and onion, and stir in after blending all other ingredients.

1/4 cup bread crumbs
2 garlic cloves
1/2 pint cream
1 T sugar
2 1/2 t salt
1 large cucumber, peeled
1 pound green grapes
1/2 cup chopped red or vidalia onion
2 1/2 sherry (or other similar) vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup water

Blend bread crumbs, garlic, cream, sugar, and salt into paste. Add cucumbers, grapes, onion, and vinegar and blend until smooth. With lid off, add oil in a slow, stead dream while blending, then continue blending until soup is thick and smooth. Add water and blend again. Serve chilled.

You could garnish with chopped scallions. It's such a distinctive flavor, though, that I can't think of any herbs that would work as a garnish -- perhaps chives.

I wish I'd had the ingredients to make Shauna's wraps -- close, but no cigar. I made wraps with turkey, herbed brie, and more chives.

No photo of the food today because none of it was very pretty. Tasty, but monochromatic. I posted a photo of Jasper from a cooler day instead.

We're two days into the heat wave, with one more to go. I don't know if we'd still be alive at this point if I hadn't insisted on getting air conditioning. Jasper and I spend the time fingerpainting, watching Yellow Submarine, pasting images from Yellow Submarine on Jasper's wall, popping bubble wrap... I have to come up with a better plan tomorrow. Where can we go that has air conditioning but that does not involve a) walking more than five minutes outdoors or b) a subway transfer?

1 comment:

shaunamama said...

What's more fun than making and pasting images from Yellow Submarine? Can I join you? It sounds like a fun afternoon, to me!

The gazpacho is another one of those daring recipes I'd love to try but my inner chicken comes out when it comes to those. I'll try it someday.

I'm so glad you decided on getting an air conditioner. I've been reading about those deadly temps...just way too scary! We've been lucky to have a cool front come through. With any luck, it'll last as it hits you guys out there.