Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, September 07, 2006

THE enchilada recipe



The last time I posted on the Cook's Illustrated enchilada recipe JaneAnne sent me I omitted the actual recipe out of respect for the magazine. But when I made the enchiladas again Tuesday night I though, no, this is too good a recipe to keep hidden. All must have access to The Great Enchilada Recipe. So here it is.

Sauce and filling
1 1/2 T vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped fine (about 1 cup)
3 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through [or just use your grater -- AV]
3 T chili powder
2 t ground coriander
2 t ground cumin
1/2 t salt
2 t sugar [I omit this]
12 oz boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 4), trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1/4-inch wide strips
2 cans (8 oz each) tomato sauce
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 can (4 oz) pickled jalapenos, drained and chopped [I omit this as well, for Jasper]
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated (about 2 cups)

Tortillas and toppings
10 six-inch corn tortillas
vegetable cooking spray
3 oz grated sharp cheddar cheese (3/4 cup)
3/4 cup sour cream
1 avocado, diced medium
3 romaine lettuce leaves, shredded
2 limes, quartered

Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat until hot and shimmering but not smoking, about 2 minutes; add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and beginning to brown, about five minutes.

Add garlic, chili powder, coriander, cumin, salt, and sugar; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chicken and cook, stirring constantly, until coated with spices, about 30 seconds. Add tomato sauce and 1/4 cup water; stir to separate chicken pieces.

Bring to simmer, then reduce heat to medium low; simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and flavors have melted, about 8 minutes. Pour mixture through medium-mesh strainer into medium bowl, pressing on chicken and onions to extract as much sauce as possible; set sauce aside. Transfer chicken mixture to large plate; freeze for 10 minutes to cool, then combine with cilantro, jalapenos, and cheese in medium bowl and set aside.

Adjust oven racks to upper and lower middle positions and heat oven to 300 degrees.

Smear entire bottom of 13x9-inch baking dish with 3/4 cup chili sauce. Place tortillas on two baking sheets. Spray both sides lightly with cooking spray. Bake until tortillas are soft and pliable, about 4 minutes.

Place warm tortillas on countertop. Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees. Place 1/3 cup filling down center of each tortilla. Roll each tortilla tightly by hand and place in baking dish, side by side, seam-side down. Pour remaining chili sauce over top of enchiladas. Use back of spoon to spread sauce to it coats top of each tortilla. Sprinkle 3/4 cup grated cheese down center of enchiladas.

Cover baking dish with foil. Bake enchiladas on lower-middle rack until heated through and cheese is melted, 20 to 25 minutes. Uncover and serve immediately, passing sour cream, avocado, lettuce and lime wedges separately.

When I made these Tuesday the Coop had no thighs, boneless or otherwise. I used legs, which complicated things a bit. I also toasted the first batch of tortillas while de-boning and skinning those thighs. We didn't eat until 9. After cleaning up my big mess I hit my head on the bathroom shelf, knocking all the contents on the floor -- hairpins everywhere. After cleaning up that mess I didn't much like blogging. Can you blame me?

Another reason why I haven't blogged much lately is that we've been busy -- openings and a party with no time for a proper dinner. Here's a sandwich I made to sustain myself through tonight's 81 openings in Chelsea. Oh all right, I only went to five or so, but what a scene. There really were 81 openings in Chelsea tonight.


Prosciutto, tons of arugula, manchego, Dijon mustard, mayo, lovely green tomato on soft whole grain.

7 comments:

liz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
liz said...

we missed you. were they openings for Lane or other artists? were you impressed? do tell.

Adriana Velez said...

Aw, thanks! No shows for Lane. I loved this one: http://www.re-title.com/exhibitions/ROEBLINGHALLChelsea.asp
Otherwise... eh. So many art galleries, so much OK art. Nothing that rocked my world. Oh well, at least it means the art industry seems healthy.

Adriana Velez said...

Let me try that link again:

http://www.re-title.com/exhibitions/
ROEBLINGHALLChelsea.asp

janeannechovy said...

Mmmmm, enchiladas.

Note to anyone else who might try this recipe: I really like it with the white queso blanco instead of sharp cheddar. Whether you can get it easily depends on the level of Mexican population in your town.

Design Mom said...

Oh. I'm definitely trying the enchiladas.

Your pictures are always so pretty.

Swizzies said...

Mmmm, come make those for me!! I long for mexican food. Sigh.

Can you believe I used to live in little old Chelsea?? How chic it's become. :-O