Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Hearty chicken stew

Arggg, me hearties, are ye ready for a chicken stew made with BUTTER?

I wish I could take credit for this recipe, but it's actually from the same Times article as the pad Thai recipe, adapted from "In the Hands of a Chef" by Jody Adams and Ken Rivard.

1 3 1/2-4 lb chicken, rinsed
8 c chicken stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
5 medium carrots, thickly chopped
4 medium leeks, tender white party only, thickly sliced
4 celery stalks, thickly sliced
4 cloves garlic, smashed
1 t chopped thyme
1 bay leaf
3 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup stellini (tiny star pasta)
3 T unsalted butter
1 T lemon juice
1 T chopped tarragon
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
6 slices toasted Italian bread
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1. Place the chicken in a 6-quart pot breast side down. Add the stock, lightly seasoned with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil, skimming often. Add the carrots, leeks, celery, garlic, thyme, bay leaf and parsley and simmer. After 15 minutes, flip the chicken and cook for 25 minutes more. Remove the chicken and let cool. [Cool in the freezer so your fingers will survive the next step. AV]

2. Strain the vegetables, discarding the bay leaf and parsley. Return the stock to the pot; simmer until reduced by half. Pull the chicken meat off the bones. [OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH!] Add the chicken and vegetables; heat through.

3. To serve, place a piece of toast in the bottom of each of the 6 bowls, then drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with Parmesan. Top with Stew. Serves 6.

No stars at the Coop -- besides Lane, of course. I used little letters instead. Don't do what I did. I missed that "1/2 cup" and added the whole package, all 3 cups. Adriana, READ THE RECIPE! It was still delicious. We'll enjoy our pasta salad tomorrow.

This week's theme is television. Did you catch the Andy Warhol documentary on PBS? Amazing. Part II is tomorrow. So is the season premiere of Grey's Anatomy. So is an opening for a group show Lane is in. What to do?!?

2 comments:

shaunamama said...

This post is another one of your fortuitous ones. I was wondering what in the world I could make for dinner tomorrow night that would be great for this cold rainy weather we're having without repeating one of my other soups.

I can't wait!

Writermama said...

Yes, I LOVED that Warhol documentary. I was riveted and couldn't go to the bathroom or anything, and also missed Grey's Anatomy because no tivo over here.