Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, September 18, 2006

Kielbasa and grilled vegetable salad

This is actually about what Lane made for dinner tonight. I had chef's block and couldn't come up with a plan. Sometimes I blank out like that. But Lane knows his way around the kitchen just fine, thank you.

We grilled zucchini, sweet potatoes (with sage), and corn on the cob Sunday and had a lot left over. Lane chopped everything tonight and just added lemon juice and salt. The kielbasa (Polish sausage) went well with the salad.

Can you believe I've lived here 12 years and have never made it to Coney Island until today? Our neighbor took her daughter yesterday and invited Jasper (and us) to come along, but I thought she meant the beach (we spent the day at DUMBO instead). I'd always pictured Coney Island-the-amusement-park as crummy, run-down, seedy, adult territory, one of those places where you can't breathe because of the weird smells and you come home with sticky shoes. But we passed by it today on the way to the aquarium and it called to me. I thought I was unreachable to that sort of thing, but no. I saw sweetness and charm and goofy old-New-Yorkiness. And I saw kiddie rides.

I think we're going to have to take Jasper this weekend when the rides are running again.

2 comments:

liz said...

I KNOW! We only went 2 times in 7 years and it was way more fun than I expected.

Co said...

I can't believe you've never been to Coney Island! It's got Skee-ball! Who doesn't love Skee-ball?