Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, September 11, 2006

Non-tedious butternut squash



To inaugurate the butternut squash season I have created a new recipe. And it is not tedious at all. (Apologies to those of you not familiar with this running gag.) But the name of the dish certainly is.

Butternut chicken plum paste shiso leaf stirfry

vegetable oil
boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into pieces
butternut squash chopped into similarly-sized pieces
1-2 tablespoons sake
1-2 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons plum paste
2 shiso leaves, thinly sliced
sesame seeds
2-3 chopped scallions

Coat sauce pan with vegetable oil. Add chicken, butternut squash, sake, and soy sauce. Saute on high until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Stir in plum paste, then add shiso leaves, sesame seeds, and scallions.

The shiso leaves are optional, of course. I know you can't find them just anywhere, having looked for them in the past. This dish is very salty but in a lip-smaking umami way. Part of the inspiration was plum paste and shiso maki rolls. Shiso is also used in squash maki rolls as well.

Happy 9/11. Doesn't it seem like the date is turning into a holiday? This makes me angry. Every 9/11 is different, and for me this is the year to be pissed. I hate that there's a 9/11 movie out, that the tragedy is a form of entertainment. I'm angry that we got stuck with a second term with THE WORST PRESIDENT IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and that we're still stuck in this war -- a war many Americans were manipulated into supporting right after 9/11. I hate all the maudlin jingoism and flag-waving this date inspires.

Despite all of that, I'm grateful that life continues for most of us. I'm glad Lane and I were able to have a child after 9/11 despite feeling like the world was coming to an end. I'm grateful for friends and family. I'm happy that my crazy, ne'er-do-well little brother just took a chance on New York City and moved here yesterday.

Meanwhile, here's Jasper strangling our family George voo doo doll.

8 comments:

Writermama said...

LOVE the photo of Jasper strangling the voodoo doll. He looks like he's into it.

liz said...

I am not feeling the holiday hug of it all either and don't think it was the right time (if ever) for the movie.

I didn't lose anyone to it, but it's still so fresh in my heart I sort of ignore the media today.

shaunamama said...

Oh, I just love this post. I love the pic of Jasper strangling that doll.
Yay for your brother moving to NY!
I have my own rant about the 9/11 thing..will post later.
The recipe sounds wonderful. I must try this one. I'll let you know how it turns out.
OH! I almost forgot to tell you. We tried Kirt's the other day! The onion rings and shakes are truly divine!

Adriana Velez said...

On a much happier note -- Kirt's! Yay, I'm so glad you got a chance to go.

Co said...

Hi. Thought of you on 9/11, of course.

I avoided t.v. at all costs yesterday because I didn't want newspeople and politicians telling me how I should feel. I know how I feel.

What I did reflect on yesterday a bit is how badly management dealt with the situation. I hope there is better training today.

Miss Sadie Hawkins said...

I love little Jasper but I think he needs to get his hands up around the throat. Right now it appears he's trying to shake some sense into the doll and we all know you can't give a doll a brain or any sense. So I say go for the throat.

Janet M. Kincaid said...

Bravo, Jasper! When you're done, may I have a turn, please?

Adriana, you capture 9/11 so well. Keith Olbermann does, too. If you've missed it, see his commentary on MSNBC.

I heard someone in an interview last week say, "We're no longer perceived by the world as a nation of hope, but rather are seen now as a nation of despair." That makes me sad.

I, too, thought of you and the many folks I know who live and work in NYC. You remain an inspiration to me and the embodiment of hope.

Mary Ellen said...

If you had a Dick Cheeney voodoo doll, maybe another hunting accident would take care of the enormous mess?

Thank god for cable; was able to mostly avoid the commemorations--not because I don't feel bad about/for the losses, but because I don't have it in me to relive those dark days.

I did pause for a story on summer camps for children who lost a parent and stopped to watch some coverage on a Spanish station. Once de Septimbre doesn't have the same kind of baggage, at least for me.

Who IS the target audience for the 9/11 movies? There are a ton of movies about JFK's assasination; did people have the same resistance to those, too?