Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Pork roast with sweet potatoes and dates


Pork roast
2 small-medium sweet potatoes, chopped
1 cup pitted dates
6 small shallots or cipolline onions, halved
allspice berries
cardamom pods
coriander seeds
salt
pepper

Brown pork on all sides, then cover with water. Add spices and roast, covered, in 350-degree oven for 30 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and roast another 30 minutes. Add dates and roast for 15 minutes more, uncovered.

Remove pork and let rest. Remove potatoes and dates to serving dish. Reduce pan juices until syrupy, then strain and pour over sliced pork and potatoes.

Ideally, you should wrap your spices in muslin (in two batches for even distribution). I wish I'd done this; it was a pain to pick out the potatoes separate from the spices.

This dish has a sweet (but not too sweet) and darkly mysterious flavor. It's inspired by Moroccan tagines. I liked it, but if your family is not into exotic flavors you might want to skip this one.


Have you seen these? They're wonderful -- sweet Spanish crisps made with olive oil and anise seed. I just bought some more today. They're my new favorite snack, especially good with tea.

5 comments:

shaunamama said...

Yum. The Spanish crisps look wonderful. I bet they'd go great with some chai, huh.
I'd love to try that dish..it sounds wonderful but I don' t know where I'd get dates here. I'm sure someone sells them. I just have never seen them but then again, I am usually in the store buying my usual list.

Janet M. Kincaid said...

What?! No Jasper installment today?! That's my favorite part! Where is the little guy today?

This recipe sounds divine. I think I'll have to make it the next time our friends, Peter Ashcroft and Sheryl "Meat. Give Me Meat" Schindler, are over. I know she'd love it. I'm not a huge fan of dates (it's a texture thing and falls into the same category as uncooked raisins for me: gritty, sandy, icky. I only like raisins after they've been soaked in hot liquid, thereby converting their sugars from grainy to soft and syrupy), but I would imagine that cooked they're rather tasty.

Janet M. Kincaid said...

P.S. Could you use pork tenderloin in lieu of pork roast?

Adriana Velez said...

No Jasper -- I was too tired last night!

You could try with pork loin, but reduce the cooking time to 1/2 hour (do you have a meat thermometer?). Also, add potatoes and dates from the start.

Shauna, maybe Wild Oats?

shaunamama said...

I'll try Wild Oats...thanks.