Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Friday, September 29, 2006

Rice pilaf with duck sausage


That's just a fancy way of saying we ate stuffing for dinner.

2 cups brown basmati
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups chicken broth
4 duck sausages
1 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced thickly
2 cortland apples, chopped
1 cup dried cranberries

Saute rice in a little olive oil until rice toasts and releases nutty aroma (ahh!). Stir in garlic, soften, and add chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add sausage and mushrooms. Continue to cook, covered, until rice is nearly done. Add apples and cranberries and cover for another five minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. (Substitute with any pre-cooked sausage, any mushroom, any apple -- this is just what I used.)

My son, who never eats very much at one sitting, had three servings of this rice. Three servings! I couldn't believe it. Maybe he's finally going to grow.

2 comments:

Co said...

If I couldn't use mushrooms (Lo detests them so as much as I love 'em, I never include them in anything I cook), what would you recommend? Sounds good.

I'm not surprised Jasper loved it. It's the type of thing I would've loved as a kid, too.

Adriana Velez said...

You could leave them out altogether. They add a nice flavor, but it's a minor note. If you wanted to substitute with another savory flavor to balance out the fruit you could try cauliflower (chopped into inch-square pieces) or throw in some slivered almonds just before serving. I would have liked to have added almonds but Jasper doesn't like nuts these days.