Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Friday, September 08, 2006

Soup plus three

I was just reading in my Japanese cookbook that the traditional Japanese dinner is often structured around "soup plus three" -- that is, soup plus three other dishes. I tried this out and it was plus three all right -- more than three hours to prepare. But tasty once we finally ate. (Photos taken on the roof deck after dark.)


Ginger lemon soup with watercress and fish cake.

Maki rolls with sweet brown rice, avocado, cucumber, shiso leaf, and sesame seeds.

Grilled tofu with red miso paste and toasted sesame seeds.

Yakitori, grilled salted chicken. This is astoundingly delicious for the amount of effort it takes. Marinate some chicken thighs in sake for 5-10 minutes, skewer, salt heavily, and grill. The thighs are supposed to have skin but be boned, which is a great pain in the neck. I still don't know how to do this without demolishing the thighs. I may try this again with skinless, boneless thighs. The Coop doesn't sell boneless with skin -- does anyone?

I got the shiso leaf and fish cakes at a Japanese grocery I found on 41st between 5th and Maidson (closer to Madison). I may make more maki rolls with shiso leaf and plum paste soon -- I do so love shiso leaf!

I sure could go for some green tea ice cream about now.

2 comments:

liz said...

most inspiring dish yet for me- I crave this stuff every week. And I won't have to say 'hold the fish eggs'.

now...for a Japanese store in the burbs....

shaunamama said...

This post made my mouth literally water, girl. It sounds sooooo Scrump-ump-dilli-umptious! (I know that's not a word, but it's one of my favorite pseudo-words).

Hope you have a great week!