Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Adrienne's stuffed squash


About the same time I was trying to talk Lane into moving to the Bay Area (an ongoing project), Adrienne of Nosheteria had just moved from the Bay Area to New York City. "Run the other way!" I wanted to yell, but she can't hear me over here in Brooklyn. Anyway, she seems to be having a great time here, I am delighed to see. This recipe features some lovely local squash, amber cup, also known as kubocha.

I used toasted buckwheat (kasha) instead of farro because the Coop didn't have farro. Imagine that! And I wanted a little Italian sausage thrown in.

To cook toasted buckwheat, bring two cups of chicken stock to a boil and slowly stir in one cup of buckwheat. Lower heat and cover, cooking for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit another 15 minutes. For the "pilaf" I browned the sausage with some chopped shallot, then added the buckwheat and some mushrooms.

I had planned to write more but I am spent. This evening Jasper was on full throttle until after 11:00 p.m. And he only wanted Mommy to play with him. Anyway, great dish and I'll have to make it again soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious. Could I use bulghur wheat?

vincentt said...

Peace on Earth and the food smells so good...