Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Asleep at the wheel

Did you know that both houses recently passed a bill that violates the Geneva Conventions and habeas corpus? Do you know what those are? Do you care? I have to admit, I was oblivious to the news myself until I read Dave's recent post in the Great Whatsit.

The bill is called the Military Conventions Act. Many of our representatives voted for it because 1) it's complicated and they may not have taken the time to truly understand it and 2) this is an election year and if they voted against it their opponent could then start waving the flag and claiming they voted against a "terrorisim" bill. (By the way, some are now calling it the "torture bill.")

Most of us are busy and can't always keep track of what our elected officials are doing. But more and more I'm realizing I should be reading the news more often instead of turning to the food/style sections first. Things are getting really scary in this country. Last time I checked this was a democracy, but it only works if we pay attention to the details.

Anyway, you don't have to agree with me. I'm just asking that you take a look and inform yourself.

The bill is called S.3930. You can find out who voted for it here and here. Search for articles on the bill in your local newspapers. Google the bill and see what comes up -- I don't want to sound flippant, but it's interesting to see what comes up. What do you think? Are you happy with how your representatives voted? Tell them what you think. Tell other people what you think. Tell them to do something.

Is this mike still on? OK then, dinner is served in the next post.

2 comments:

Writermama said...

Yes, the mike is on! It's totally sick, this news. I hope this Foley scandal does something to wrest control from the wretched Republicans next month (while i'm sorry for the teen boys he traumatized)!

While I don't have a lot of time to read, I can mult-task while listening to Air American Radio and get a lot of info that way.

shaunamama said...

I've been asleep at the wheel myself. (That's a great song by the Wallflowers by the way...sorry...just couldn't resist.)

The news makes me literally ill, but I've got to get over that real quicklike.