Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Bats and cobwebs


I know what you're thinking: "No, Adriana, that looks more like a plate of pasta." But behold the magic of Everyday Cooking, a subscription that was forced upon me after Kids folded. Actually, EC is a perfectly good publication, it's just not for me. But I liked this idea. You can't really tell from the picture, but the bowtie pasta are the bats and stringy, melty mozzarella are the cobwebs.

It's that simple. When you add the tomato sauce to the pasta you also add 1 cup of cubed cheese, stir, top with 3/4 cup cubed cheese, and then toast in the oven for 10-15 minutes. In fact, I dumped all of the cheese in, mixed, and then covered the pasta with a lid for 5 minutes or so. I still got the stringy cobweb effect, though of course no toasted cheese on top. Anyway, it's pasta with big, melty gobs of cheese. Good if you like that sort of thing, and I do.


I found out today that around this time of the year the Chinese celebrate the Moon Festival. I felt compelled to join in some way, especially since Jasper has been particularly obsessed with the moon and we've had a gorgeous full one last night and tonight. I bought what I thought were moon cakes at a Chinatown bakery. But when I opened my package at home I realized the little red bean-filled cakes were square, not round. Ooops, right pastry but wrong shape. Oh well. Happy television premiere season everyone.

It's also Free Trade month, at least according to the Food Coop. You no longer have to slurp bitter coffee and nibble waxy chocolate to be a caffeein do-gooder, either. I recommend Green & Black's chocolate bars (especially the 70% and the Maya Gold) and Gorilla Coffee.

I don't know how I feel about this new template, but at least it's a change. Sure wish I knew HTML.

10 comments:

shaunamama said...

We had bowtie pasta tonight too! What's up with that!?! We had ours with enhanced Prego. I take the jar,put in some more plain tomato sauce then I put in my own blend of herbs (fresh) to make it better. Oh, I also added some browned lean ground beef. Today was so busy, I had to do something fast.

I dig the new template. Very cool. I bet Jasper loved the pasta dish. Give him a squeeze for me, will you?

Mary Ellen said...

I miss the green background! Kinda the color of Jasper's birth announcement if I remember correctly...

I'm no HTML genius, but you can jazz up a pre-fab template by changing fonts and colors (like how I made RGVG's background pink). It can be intimidating--and for flashy, complicated sites, there's a lot of work involved. But for what you want to do, I suspect the HTML coding wouldn't be as difficult as you might think.

Janet M. Kincaid said...

What happened to your blog?!? I found comfort in the original template, sort of like the comfort one finds in a bowl of soup, a cup of hot tea, an old blanket, and a good book on a cold, blustery day like today. I'm all for change and creativity, but I'm also a fuddy-duddy and like tradition and comfort. Still... I suppose change is a good thing...

And bowtie pasta with sauce: YUMMY. Simple. Quick. No-brainer. Sometimes it hits the spot more than being all sophisticated about what I eat. I think, given today's weather, I've found inspiration in your meal suggestion.

Adriana Velez said...

ME, I'd really like to match the background to the yellow in my kitchen. How do I do that -- does having the pantone # help?

Lane hates the look. I have to say, morning after, the size of the sidecolumn headings are too large, and the profile looks really awkward.

Sorry to throw you, Janet!

Anonymous said...

You should check and see if you have the beta-blogger option. That's what got me movin' on the color changing, etc. There are a few drawbacks, however. You don't really even have to know html. It's so easy to do though. Look on the right side of you dashboard and see if there's a thing telling you you can update to a new template, blah, blah, blah.

So, I used to get the Kids mag and then one day I didn't. Is that why I'm getting that pint-sized magazine now? I wondered where it came from. I like some of their recipes, but find their ethnic stuff to be totally bland.

I wanted to make this for Lilly. Maybe I just will.

Writermama said...

You just reminded me that I forgot about the moon festival at the community garden. Last year we went and had mooncakes from Chinatown, but they weren't too delectable.

Trader Joe's as a great organic 73 percent dark chocolate bar. Not sure if that's free-trade or not. Like your new template. I don't know how to do that.

Mary Ellen said...

You can change the backgroud color without changing anything else in the template.

Google "browser safe color chart" and you should be able to pull one up that shows the different colors and their 6-digit HTML eqivalent.

Once you've found code for a yellow you like, go into Blogger and edit the HTML of the template. Look for something along the lines of BODY BGCOLOR="#669999". Plug in your new code to change the background color. Save the change if you like what you see.

Or I can call you and walk you through it. You know how busy I am these days, ha ha.

Swizzies said...

Wow...I was just thinking that I dig the groovy new look...

But then, my blog is boring, underposted, and has too much white space. Love ME's tips - I'm off to do some experimentation...

Co said...

Oooooohhhh... I like the yellow blog. V. cool.

For Halloween, I once made ghosts out of nutter butters with my fifth graders. We just melted white candy, dipped each cookie into the melted candy with tongs and then lay the coated cookie on a wax-paper lined cookie sheet. We added 2 mini choc chips for the eyes and let em set. So easy, so fun, but the cookies wound up being so sweet I couldn't eat them. My students had no trouble eating them though.

shaunamama said...

Woo! This template is even better than the other one!