Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Corn cakes de Zulmy


Every once in a while I try and practice my Spanish by perusing the Mexican blog Cocinalia and the Venezuelan Blog de Zulmy. This particular recipe looked especially good, kind of like an arepa.

I skimmed the recipe in the morning just for the ingredients and then ran out for a play date... and then didn't get home again until around 6:00, groceries in hand. No helpful naptime, so I didn't have time to read more closely and realize that the recipe called for fresh corn kernels. Oh well.

It wasn't a fatal error. This is even tastier than I thought it would be. I added an egg because I thought the batter/dough needed a little binder. Who knows what else I did differently. I just barely noticed that you can have the page translated with a little button.

I used a smoked Gouda for the cheese, and that smoky, melted goo was fantastic with the crunchy grilled cornmeal. We had mixed greens salad on the side.

2 cups cornmeal
1 tablespoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2-1 cup water, depending on desired consistency
olive olive
thin slices of cheese
slices of ham

Sift together cornmeal, salt, and sugar. Mix in egg. Stir in water until batter is wet. Heat about 1T oil in hot pan. Spread about 1/2 cup batter into pan, flattening thinly as possible. Grill until toasted on one side. Flip, grill about a minute, then add cheese and ham and fold over in half. Grill on each side until toasted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love arepas. I ate them for the first time last year. SO GOOD.

I'm loving this! It's fun to see what other foodie blogs other people read.

Anonymous said...

Hi Adriana,
They are your cachapas, and look great :D, and as you liked them. It's wonderful.
I am surprised and happy my blog, along with Cocinalia, helps you to practice your spanish. If you have questions regarding any of my recipes or my stories, just write a comment and I will be happy to explain.
Thank you very much for viviting my house in the blogsfera.
Zulmy