Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, October 30, 2006

Have you had your pumpkin ravioli, yet?


Do you live in the New York metro area? It's selling everywhere. Fratelli Brothers seems to have cornered the market in Brooklyn, but I love Union Market's. You don't even need a sauce for it. Just drizzle with good olive oil and sprinkle a little parmesean over it. We had ours on Friday night. We may have more tomorrow night, I don't know.

What I'm really craving are the pumpkin fritters at Franny's. Oh, those are good -- light yet rich, coated in a tiny bit of powdered sugar, molten squashiness inside. Maybe that's what we should have for dinner tomorrow night.

Halloween always presents a bit of a dilemna as far as dinner goes. Trick-or-treating (which we are participating in for the first time this year) starts as early as 4:00. Then at 6:30 the Halloween parade begins. All the little gouls and goblins parade down the main street of my neighborhood and it's wonderful. We went even before we had Jasper. It last an hour or so, which means its almost 8:00 by the time we get home.

Where does that leave dinner? We eat late anyway (usually around 8, 8:30, 9 even, I'm afraid) but there's no time to cook anything. Maybe I should make sandwiches to eat during the parade. Hmm, something to think about...

6 comments:

liz said...

pizza take-out or cold cuts was always out family tradition.

janeannechovy said...

I'm making a 15-bean soup with onion and chicken Italian sausage. It'll simmer all afternoon and be waiting for us post-trick-or-treating (we're meeting our neighbor friends at 5:30, and with little kids and a very hilly neighborhood we should be home within an hour).

I'm also making spudnuts, which I traditionally give out to my neighbors when they come by with their kids. For treats I'm giving out witch's finger cookies--green and arthritic with an almond fingernail with blood around the cuticle. Yummy.

I am also a big fan of the pumpkin ravioli. There's a fresh pasta joint here that has a few tables for eat-in, plus carryout of prepared dishes as well as frozen and refrigerated components. Last year I had their butternut squash ravioli that they served with a hazelnut butter sauce. Thank you for reminding me that I need to do that! I'll need to go by there early in the day to pick it up though--they've been selling out.

ticklethepear said...

Remember Laurie Colwin's essay about Halloween? What did she make besides that chocolate cake with spiderwebs?

Janet M. Kincaid said...

I know it's a chain, but in the Bay Area, there's a restaurant called Pasta Pomodoro that serves one of the best butternut squash ravioli dishes going. It's served with sage sauteed in butter and sprinkled with parmesan. Yummy.

What was Jasper this year?

Adriana Velez said...

Janet, I'll show you Jasper's costume if Blogger ever lets me download photos. There must be a glut of parents trying to download Halloween costume images in cyberspace right now.

Sylvia, I'll have to look up that one.

Swizzies said...

Mmmm, had my pumpkin ravioli last night - Scott picked some freshly made up from our good grocery store. Soooo good. We didn't have any nuts or sage, so we just did brown butter salt and black pepper, with green beans (or should I say haricots verts on a foodie site like this one ;-). I decided to forego the parmesan because I was so hungry, I couldn't even be bothered to grate a little parmesan. That's one tired corporate whore, let me tell you.

15-bean soup, JA?? I didn't even know there WERE 15 beans... Sounds yummy though.